Bit by a dog over a month ago.

Sondacop

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Our favorite chicken was bit by a dog on her leg over a month ago. The vet didn't expect her to live more than a few days but she did. Sh does not look good, she is pale and thin. It is hard for her to walk on that leg. She is eating and drinking, but she sits in the corner most of the day. What can I do for her?

I'm going to need more information. Has the wound healed? Are there signs of infection? Is she segregated from the flock? How far away is her food/water and does she have the capability to move around within reach of it? Did she suffer any other injuries?

Thanks for responding! The wound is still open, she is not segregated anymore, but they are not harming her or stopping her from eating or drinking. One of the girls is very protective of her. She can move around. When I free range them I put her out and she hops a bit, but prefers to hide behind the coop or to stay next to me if I am sitting outside. I haven't found any other wounds, nor has the vet.

I went to take pictures, but she had passed.
1f622.png

This was my first injured chicken. I took her to the vet after it happened, he gave her antibiotics and didn't expect her to last 4 days. I fed her and gave her water through a syringe. When she started eating and drinking on her own I thought she was getting better. She did look better till a few days ago. Not cured, but better. But she was getting pale.
She was so friendly, the only friendly chicken we have, the others won't get near us. She would let us pick her up and pet her. She will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom