Biting Dogs *UPDATE: Post #19*

"They're giving that dog away so it doesn't hurt anyone else."

I hope you mean they are putting the dog down so it doesn't hurt anyone else? By giving it away, it just hurts people you don't know. I don't blame the dog for the biting during a fight, but the previous bites were enough imo, well the first one is enough in my opinion.

That dog is not safe in anyone's home unless they know and understand 100% how to deal with such behaviors, please tell them that.

I thought maybe some people subscribed to this thread might be able to use some tips for breaking up fighting dogs:

First, don't get your hands involved!

The first and best tactic that I know of is to grab a chair and use it to pin one of the fighting dogs. Of course, when one dog is incapacitated, the other dog will attack that dog, so only do this if you feel like 1) you can pin the dog effectively and 2) you're pinning an aggressor that is bullying a submissive dog that you think won't attack back.

The other, less good tactic is to use a blanket if there is one nearby to cover the dog you want to grab. I've only heard both of these tactics recommended and never had to use one of them, but I would go for the chair tactic every time. I would NOT try to use the blanket tactic unless it was a pair of very small dogs that you think you can grab with a blanket. I really don't like the idea of the blanket solution because it gets your hands too close to the "business end" of the fighting dogs.

I've heard that spraying water doesn't work, and anyways, most fights probably happen in the home, where you don't have access to a garden hose and wouldn't want to use it anyway.

Sadly, I think the best thing is to just let the dogs fight it out, since most of the time they won't fight to the death. You'll have to pay to get their injuries fixed, but it's better than paying to have your injuries fixed.

I've heard of people doing the wheel burrow technique..
You pick up the dogs back legs and drag them backwards ... it throws him off balance...

Never heard of that one...but I still wouldn't get my hands anywhere near the dogs. They will reach around to snap at whatever they view as a new entrant into the fight. Not saying it's a bad idea for sure, but I definitely wouldn't do it.

Quote:
A dog trainer told me that.. she said that it usually always works..
AND if its a REAL bad fight.. she'll drag them in between doors..(like in a door way) and shut the door on the dogs heads..lol.. until they release and then shes able to shut the doors between them..
She trains high risk dogs too...
hu.gif

What i (personally) would do is... use your blanket method(good idea).. throw it on the dogs heads to confuse them and then i'd grab the back legs and drag the dog away...

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds like a good plan...IF there's a blanket nearby. Maybe smart if you know that a dog is prone to fighting to always leave blankets around.

I used to be a dog trainer too, and I learned those techniques during my apprenticeship. But, I wouldn't consider myself highly skilled at dog training and I never worked with high risk dogs. I'd trust the other trainer's advice over mine, but still wouldn't put my hands anywhere near fighting dogs. Not even when they're my own dogs who I love and care for very much. How do I know? My Max is very prone to fighting and somehow I have always managed to suppress my instinct to protect him. It's just too scary.

In order to break dogs up you need to get at them at a level above their emotional state or else they wont listen. Slam a door on them, give them a good whack with a board or anything on hand, mace them - anything to break the zone they're in ( both of them). Don't worry at all about hurting them. Dogs don't listen when you ask them, you need to speak to them on their language and in the dog world the leader will use teeth and force to get his point across, which is the approach you need to take when handling them. There is no question they're going to do what you tell them to or your going to make them do it.

I used to manage a boarding kennel/rescue, I've dealt with a lot of behavior issues (most coming from owned dogs) and I don't put up with any crap from them. I'm there to care for and feed it, and for the rescues to find them new homes, I will not be disrespected. Just because the owners baby and ignore bad behavior. A small bitey dog I will pick up by the scruff of the neck and hold it helpless in the air until it unferstands where I'm coming from. A bigger dog gets put on the grown and sat on, muzzled if we feel we need to, until it does the same. Dogs understand very clearly what is meant when you force them to submit, and they get up with a little more respect for you. Most dogs will gladly give up the responsibility they felt they had to lead, it just takes someone who can talk to them in their language, and they come out happier because if it.

Personally I wouldn't trust the blanket, may distract one dog but the other will still be at it, giving one dog an advantage can make things much worse. Mace in my opinion is a much better tool, will stop both dogs and leave a lasting reminder but not physically hurt them it you, plus its good on people too it a threat ever arises.

Back
Top Bottom