Biting Dogs *UPDATE: Post #19*

I'm the same way with not wanting to confront people about things. So even though I think your friend needs to be told in no uncertain terms that her dog's behavior is not ok, I have advice for you if you decide to go and not say anything.

1. When you come in, cross your hands at chest-level, keeping them out of dog reach
2. Don't look at the dog. Ever. I don't know what kind of aggression this dog is exhibiting, but my female's aggression is totally fear related, and it won't stop until she's sure that the newcomer is not interested in looking at her.
3. Keep your back straight and your demeanor confident. Don't charge at the dog, but don't let the dog stop you from walking wherever you're going in the house. Just keep walking in the direction you're headed, even if it means going right past the dog.
4. If not looking at the dog doesn't work, turn your face away from the dog. Don't back away, but just make it clear that you're not interested in looking at it. If possible, let out a big yawn when you turn your head too. This is a calming signal.

I don't want to imply at all that it's your fault you got bitten, because it is most surely not. But there are calming signals that I think everyone in this world who ever has contact with dogs (i.e. everyone) should know. These things can help you out in the event of a dog attack, although sometimes there's simply nothing that can be done, like in the tragic stories we hear about people being killed by packs of dogs.

Quote:
Ditto.

The dog gets put up, for everyone's peace of mind (the owners included, or they should be!!!!)

The UPS man yells through the door not to open it if the dog can get out -- apparently he's terrified and I can't see any reason to cause him any more trouble. It's no big deal to send my dog to her crate if people don't want to be around her. She's not bad compared to most, but she does beg for attention. Her crate is in the middle of the living room right next to the couch, so it's not like she is banished to the dungeon.

I also don't have a problem crating my dogs for people who are fearful, but they just raise such a racket and make socializing less enjoyable for everyone involved. It's an awful experience for some people whose dogs aren't golden angels. I mean, I'll do it, but I seriously prefer not to. I don't want to have dinner with persistent, pained yipping sounds coming from the upstairs. If they were downstairs, it'd be much worse.

Quote:
If your dog BITES though, ya GOTTA be more responsible. Biting is way worse than annoying, and could even get your dog put down if people like the OP wanted to complain to animal control.

Heck, if you're having a party I'd seriously consider bording for a day, or maybe one of those puppy daycares, or even just visiting a friend who the dog likes. It'd probably be less stressful for all involved, including the dog.

That's very, very true, and you know? Last time I had a party I did board my dogs. It's just too stressful now that I have the fearful female. And I do think that biting dogs should be put down, although that doesn't explain why I haven't put down my male. There's a threshold that needs to be crossed with dog behavior, and I think if my dogs actually had ever broken skin then that would be the time for me to make the tough call. It's not ok. But I know how hard that decision can be because my male nips at children. He used to be very very bad about it, but he's gotten so much better over the last year that I don't regret not putting him down the last time it happened, and I was very close to making that decision. So I know it's a tough, emotional thing for people. But you're right, you can always put the dogs in daycare for a few hours.

I always lock up my dogs when anyone other than family is in the house.I would not go to the home if the owner did not lock up the dog,and would leave if the locked dog were to be let out while I was there.

Last time my dogs raised hell when my dd had a friend over.I ended up putting them out in the garage.

Quote:
We had the same thing happen to a jogger around the town I grew up in. I know the owners of the dogs.
It was about 4 boxers got loose and charged a jogger and drug them to the ground and tore him up. Age ranged from 6 months to 7 years old.
All of them were put down because it was the second time they had attacked someone like that. The dogs were nice. I use to sit with them, pet them, play with them..
Just when they get that pack drive there is no stopping them.

I've been attacked before- don't really think breed matters as much as this was a previous shelter dog who had been abused (GS-Chow Chow mix). he attacked me as I was taking care of him as the owners left me instructions that were going to get me hurt- I completely blame them for what happened... however any large dog showing aggression will have me nearly panicked (internal).

To help me be less nervous around large dogs I became a puppy raiser for Southeastern Guide Dogs ( http://www.guidedogs.org/ ) ... I learned how to truly train dogs, when people saw a 2-3 mth old lab that was better behaved then... most of their kids, all of their dogs or whatever they ask if I train dogs.

You can't train dogs (not in the way they wanted), you train the owner's/ responsible parties of dogs... its up to the handler to have control of the animal (which is too much like work for these @*(#*$& ).

SO I still have to watch out for aggressive dogs but have a much better understanding of what to do- However the things listed above are not all 'calming', insomuch as they are submissive- I wouldn't want to send mixed signals to a dog that doesn't understand that humans are all higher then him/her/it on the totem pole (turning head away, yawning = submissive / confidante wide stance/ facing forward = dominant).

not all signs work for all dogs, but I have friends with unruly large dogs that are warned, I will not be attacked by any dog, if there dog comes at me he/she/it will end up belly up -if they are lucky.

Quote:
I think that if people have a hyper or at all aggressive dog then they should lock it up. But I don't think that people should always have to lock their dogs up when they have guest. Some dogs have a sweet nature and don't bother anyone. My beagle, who is very old, simply ignores most people. Although on occasion he will honor a repeat guest by sitting at their feet.

The problem is that most people don't admit that their dog is annoying to guests, much less aggressive.

I used to go to a friend's house that had a yappy little dog. The dog would get under the table and try to bite my feet and legs so I had to sit with my feet up. My friend just laughed and told me that her dog liked me. I was 17 and less confrontational then I am now. The dog had bitten other people but my friend simply claimed that her dog sensed something wrong about those people. When the dog bit her mother, they put the dog down. What I realize now is that if they had taken the time to train the little dog when it was snarling under the table, maybe the poor animal wouldn't have lost its life.

Last edited:
*UPDATE*

I did end up going to the party, and they were very considerate and kept the dog outside.
smile.png
That was a while ago, though. Hee.

Their other dog, which is a small terrier, is very sweet and cuddly. They adopted it because they thought it would help their other dog calm down. It did NOT help, in fact made it worse. Those two dogs got into a huge fight a couple days ago, and my friend seriously thought they were going to get severely hurt. She tried to break them up (VERY VERY bad idea) and the aggressive dog attacked her finger, and they almost had to go the emergency room.

They're giving that dog away so it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom