Biting Dogs *UPDATE: Post #19*

to separate dogs in a fight USE THE HIND LEGS.

If there are 2 people, each person takes the hind legs, lifts, and moves in a gentle arc to the side while moving backwards as well. With most breeds of dogs (except APBTs etc....these you need a break stick) this will work. Remember to keep hold of the dogs until they are securely separated by a barrier.

If you are alone, take a leash with you. Get one dog by the hind legs, and loop the leash in front of the legs. Drag this dog to an object and attach the snap to the object. (A fence works great, if indoors you will have to improvise). ONce you have the first dog tied in this way with the leash around the body in front of the hind legs, get the hind legs of the second dog and remove it.

Caution is always in order when breaking up any serious dog fight. Dogs can redirect and team up on the person trying to break up the fight. This is how people can be killed or severely injured by their own dogs.

Anyone who has more than one larger dog should keep information on how to safely break up a dog fight handy.

Unfortunately, I have experience in breaking up dog fights. I have 2 b.itches here who would kill each other if ever given the chance, or if we make a mistake.

These 2 girls lived together without incident until the younger one was bred and had a litter. She immediately took a dislike to the older one, and we were never able to get her over it. For their safety, and that of everyone else in the household, they live separated. We have a 2 barrier protocol in order if either of these girls is loose outdoors. Meaning, if one is outdoors, the other one must be behind an escape proof barrier in the house. Either crated, or in my office where we have a tall (40") very secure gate.

We also NEVER move one of these girls without visually verifying where the other one is. Since we have discussed and initiated these rules, there has not been an accident.

A serious fight between 2 large dogs is a VERY DANGEROUS OCCURENCE. I keep bear spray in case it ever happens when I am alone.

That's unfortunate and it makes sense. I know I've gotten good dog-related advice from you before and you have beautiful dogs in your breeding operation. Did you decide to keep breeding the aggressive grump after she showed this tendency?

We've gotten so far away from the OP's intention with this thread, but I feel like it still applies...and I should say that if dogs exhibiting this type of aggression were owned by non-professionals, I'd recommend that dog be given to a professional or euthanized. There's no reason to keep a pet that is dangerous in the home. It's unwise. I sort of feel like, for that reason, that people who aren't dog professionals shouldn't even bother knowing detailed information on how to break up a dog fight. It's more important to never have the potential for a dog fight in the house, especially if there are kids around.

Yes, I have bred her again. She is only aggressive towards this one particular grump who lives in her household. She is a multiple High in Trial and multiple Best in Show winning grump. In her first litter she has produced several CHs, another BIS winner, and one who was ranked in the top ten in his breed early this year after 2 Group placements on the Florida circuit in January.

She has a flawlessly correct temperament except for her burning hatred for this one particular grump. I love them both dearly and could never part with either until it is time for them to go to the Bridge.

In visiting my home you would never guess they despise each other. They don't eyeball or growl from crates, etc. But I do know that if they EVER have access to each other it would be an instant brouhaha, and they mean business. From personal experience I can tell you that these 2 grump having a serious fight is the single most frightening experience of my life so far.

I am very very careful that this does not ever happen again.

Redyre: Is dog to dog agression/temperment passed down in the genes?
Just wondering how that works..

Cool, good to know. I know you're an expert trainer/breeder, so I was just wondering how it works. I hope I didn't imply that you shouldn't, so thanks for the thorough answer.

Quote:
Yes, dog aggression is passed down. This case and I have seen others like it (all with grump) the dog only hates one other dog and is fine with others, I don't lump that under 'dog aggressive'. I will say that fights between two grump are the worst possible. Males fight to dominate each other, when one give in the other gives up, grump fight to kill, they are not playing games at all.

Xtina, no offense taken.
big_smile.png
This grump really is outstanding in many many respects, and in one litter she has proven her worth as a producer.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom