Biting Roo

Love My Chickies

Songster
May 24, 2021
Texas City, TX
I have a cockrel, Marshmallow, about 4 months old (hatched May 14). He is very sweet, runs to my lap, loves to be pet. Lately he has begun to bite my feet. He doesn't "attack" or run at me, like another cockrel started doing, just bites randomly. He's still very affectionate.

We have recently begun trying to integrate a new set of younger pullets and one cockrel. When they're out, Marshmallow and the biggies, as I call them, are locked in a separate run.

I'm wondering if he may be getting jealous, or does anyone have any suggestions why he may be doing this, or am I just reading too much into cockrel behavior?
IMG_20210913_134735694.jpg

Your teenage roosters are growing up and will become more aggressive towards you and each other. If there is enough room the roosters may learn to get along. However, don't expect them to be sweet towards you as they continue to mature.

Your teenage roosters are growing up and will become more aggressive towards you and each other. If there is enough room the roosters may learn to get along. However, don't expect them to be sweet towards you as they continue to mature.
They get along fine with each other, but they were all hatched and raised together. The one who began trying to attack I began holding, against his will, lol, daily. He has calmed down a lot. I know we'll never be friends and I'm okay with that as long as we can live in peace! 😊

They get along fine with each other, but they were all hatched and raised together. The one who began trying to attack I began holding, against his will, lol, daily. He has calmed down a lot. I know we'll never be friends and I'm okay with that as long as we can live in peace! 😊
Please read as much as you can on rooster behavior and body language of the handlers to help you with your roosters.If you don't address this correctly he may become more aggressive and have to be culled. In my experience handling them stresses them especially the ones that don't like being held .The more aggressive you get the more aggressive they can become sometimes. The only reason it submits is it sees you as a predator and is afraid( for a while) It causes them great discomfort and stress according to research.Also It will regain its confidence and start the behavior all over again in most cases.I love roosters but I have a hands off philosophy. I let the chickens be chickens.I don't carry them around or pet on them. I occasionally pick up my hens because I don't want to make pets out of them. I do not have a rooster so I don't have one watching every move I make trying to determine if I'm a threat or not.Thats what roosters do.

Back
Top Bottom