Bizarre Scabby Lump (warning -- gross pics)

Well unfortunately, based on above description I believe its a tumor. Lancing showed only blood, no puss. It was also a solid mass under the skin, yellow colored like fat. Ill continue to treat it as if a wound. I have some boys scheduled for departure this weekend, so if no improvement by saturday, she will be grouped in with them. Id rather end her quickly before pain and slow death occur. 😔

Well unfortunately, based on above description I believe its a tumor. Lancing showed only blood, no puss. It was also a solid mass under the skin, yellow colored like fat. Ill continue to treat it as if a wound. I have some boys scheduled for departure this weekend, so if no improvement by saturday, she will be grouped in with them. Id rather end her quickly before pain and slow death occur. 😔
I’m so sorry to hear that. :hugs Keep us posted, and maybe she will make a recovery, you never know.

Warning... (I apogize for the graphic description, but someone might be able to benefit from this insight in the future)

Raven went to chicken heaven today. But i did an autopsy on her "lump". Turns out it was a huge thick scar (approx 1/2 inch thick). Under the scar was an insane amount of decay on her shoulder bone. Most of the bone was mush and greenish yellow. She also has a few other "rotten" areas on other parts of her body. All her innards looked normal. I checked her intestines for worms and found none. She had no mites. I also found no indication of an attack, all her muscles were intact and normal with no bruising.

I am glad i sent her off today. She would have surely died a slow and painful death otherwise.

Not sure if this is from cancer or someother sort of disease. But now that i got a good idea of what was wrong, ill be googling a looking for possible causes. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for this. We often only get to puzzle why there's a lump, and never get to know the reason for it. Sometimes, as in bumblefoot, a wound can go undetected and untreated, develop infection which can then spread to the bones over time. But, that's only one cause. Avian viruses can cause so many problems in a chicken's body, even lab techs sometimes wonder what their direct cause is.

This is definitely a very good case study where a necropsy from your state lab could shed a lot of extra light on this. I urge you to consider it. Depending on the state, sometimes a necropsy is so inexpensive, you just can't pass it up.

Sorry that you lost her, and spared her from suffering. So glad that you did the necropsy and found what was underneath. I also second the idea of getting the state vet vet do a necropsy, since they can do histology and look for tumors and viruses that can cause tumors. It might be something to consider if you see something like this again. Thanks for posting this thread.

Warning... (I apogize for the graphic description, but someone might be able to benefit from this insight in the future)

Raven went to chicken heaven today. But i did an autopsy on her "lump". Turns out it was a huge thick scar (approx 1/2 inch thick). Under the scar was an insane amount of decay on her shoulder bone. Most of the bone was mush and greenish yellow. She also has a few other "rotten" areas on other parts of her body. All her innards looked normal. I checked her intestines for worms and found none. She had no mites. I also found no indication of an attack, all her muscles were intact and normal with no bruising.

I am glad i sent her off today. She would have surely died a slow and painful death otherwise.

Not sure if this is from cancer or someother sort of disease. But now that i got a good idea of what was wrong, ill be googling a looking for possible causes. Any ideas are appreciated.
🤮 Wow! I would definitely look into the idea of a necropsy. What other areas were “rotten”? Do you have pictures?

🤮 Wow! I would definitely look into the idea of a necropsy. What other areas were “rotten”? Do you have pictures?
She had a spot about the size of a quarter on the bone right by her cloacia (i think the pelvis bone). She also had a pea size spot on other wing at the "elbow".

Thank you all for the necropsy idea. I will admit i have been lazy. What i need to do is call them on monday and find out how it works so i am prepared for next time. I have had other chickens die mysteriously over the past year and it would benefit me to send them in for necropsy. No excuses, i have been lazy about it! But i will make a reminder to call them monday. Fredrick is about 40 minutes from me, but due to my husbands medical conditon, i cant leave and drive for 1.5 hrs to drop them off, so need to work out how to mail them. 😵.

Back
Top Bottom