Bizarre thick white ooze feces in week-old chick

Ironclay

Chirping
Dec 22, 2020
I ordered some chicks from a hatchery and received them on Friday. They were in very bad shape (appeared dead on arrival). I brought back 4 by slowly warming them up and they have been healthy and active since.

Today, I came home and my roommate told me that one of my chicks had some white "string" hanging out of it's bum. So we went to take a look and it's entire backside was slathered in this layer of thick bright white paste. It looked like shaving cream. There was a bit of bubbling from it's vent, like it was just oozing out.

I ran the chick's butt under warm water and gently wiped him off with a paper towel. At that point I saw a bright red bump sticking out of the vent. When I patted it with a paper towel, it left a faint pink spot. It later retracted back into the vent.

I banded the chick to mark which one it was and put it back in the brooder and will check it later tonight and tomorrow. It's very active, eating, and drinking.

Does anyone know what this might be?

I mixed corid in their water out of caution of cocci. I have never had cocci, but I had it on hand. I don't feed medicated feed because I've never needed to.

I am concerned because this one has been exposed to 20 other chicks (home hatched). If it's disease-related, I don't want them having access to my main flock

it could be pasty butt, usually caused by temperature highs and lows or stress. the pink bump was probably a prolapse caused by pasty butt. which hatchery did you order from? Most of the country has severe winter weather so I'm not surprised they did awful in shipping.

it could be pasty butt, usually caused by temperature highs and lows or stress. the pink bump was probably a prolapse caused by pasty butt. which hatchery did you order from? Most of the country has severe winter weather so I'm not surprised they did awful in shipping.
This stuff isn't hardening and it was steadily oozing. The chick had more of it on it after I checked on him before going to bed.

As of this morning, he's eating and running around just like all the others, he just has a white smeared butt.

It's hard to say, getting chilled can really do a number on them. When they are this small there is not a whole lot you can do for them. I would just monitor the chick, make sure it's eating and drinking, see how it goes, and hopefully it's gut will settle and it will recover. You can dab a bit of vaseline on the vent to help keep stuff from sticking. It can dry quickly sometimes and get very hard, and chicks vents are pretty delicate.

Back
Top Bottom