Cockerels - F is the main suspect right now.

You get a GOLD star for your pics, btw! Great shots - everything needed for helping you out!

Here is a pic of my new batch of 4 day old BJG chicks. Their feet are yellow on the bottom - when they are this young, even the toes can be yellow. As they get older, the feet even out and are black (along with shanks), with yellow in the between-toe webbing and on the bottom of the feet. So, often it is asked what color are the feet bottoms when a black/white chick is posted. BA and BJG look pretty similar when young chicks.
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 4.33.52 PM.png

Cockerels - F is the main suspect right now.

You get a GOLD star for your pics, btw! Great shots - everything needed for helping you out!

Here is a pic of my new batch of 4 day old BJG chicks. Their feet are yellow on the bottom - when they are this young, even the toes can be yellow. As they get older, the feet even out and are black (along with shanks), with yellow in the between-toe webbing and on the bottom of the feet. So, often it is asked what color are the feet bottoms when a black/white chick is posted. BA and BJG look pretty similar when young chicks.
View attachment 2593631

Thanks! As a professional trainer, I believe in the power of appropriate visuals in communication and learning. =D

You're right! The BA and BJG chicks look alike except for the feet/toes! The breeder doesn't keep BJGs, so I wonder if the yellow I'm seeing is actually yellow. :D I've read elsewhere in BYC that what some call yellow are actually pink!

We'll wait for a few more weeks and then we'll know better. I'll share updated photos in a couple of weeks.

Thank you, Acre4Me!

Last edited:
Thanks! As a professional trainer, I believe in the power of appropriate visuals in communication and learning. =D

You're right! The BA and BJG chicks look alike except for the feet/toes! The breeder doesn't keep BJGs, so I wonder if the yellow I'm seeing is actually yellow. :D I've read elsewhere in BYC that what some call yellow are actually pink!

We'll wait for a few more weeks and then we'll know better. I'll share updated photos in a couple of weeks.

Thank you, Acre4Me!

any updated photos?

any updated photos?
Hi! I was actually thinking of this today. And I was wondering if I can properly identify who's who among the "chicks". They've grown so much since 4 weeks ago!!!

I'll take new pics this week. Thanks for keeping them in mind. =)

Hello! I finally took pics of my now 10-week old BAs --- who like I suspected early on are not all pure BAs. The bigger they grow, the more I doubt if any of them are at all.

Again, to the BA experts, I'd appreciate it if you could answer:

1) Can you tell me which ones are pure BAs?
2) Which ones are cockerel/pullet? I intend to keep any pullets that are mixes for their egg-laying but not for breeding. I'll keep only one or two pure BA roosters. I intend to giveaway the rest (there will be takers!).

Obvious mixes:
D - with other color present
C, H, I - for yellow feet

Other notes:
A, B had brown faces especially when they were younger
F has a couple of black and white flight feathers and also white speckles on the chest
G has white speckles on the chest

Could only E be pure??

Thanks for taking the time to look. Please note that the letter IDs here are different from the first set. I can't recognize each of them from the original pics!

Cheers!

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 10
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 11
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 13
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 14
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 13
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 12
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 11
  • G.jpg
    G.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 11
  • H.jpg
    H.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 10
  • I.jpg
    I.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 9
Hello! I finally took pics of my now 10-week old BAs --- who like I suspected early on are not all pure BAs. The bigger they grow, the more I doubt if any of them are at all.

Again, to the BA experts, I'd appreciate it if you could answer:

1) Can you tell me which ones are pure BAs?
2) Which ones are cockerel/pullet? I intend to keep any pullets that are mixes for their egg-laying but not for breeding. I'll keep only one or two pure BA roosters. I intend to giveaway the rest (there will be takers!).

Obvious mixes:
D - with other color present
C, H, I - for yellow feet

Other notes:
A, B had brown faces especially when they were younger
F has a couple of black and white flight feathers and also white speckles on the chest
G has white speckles on the chest

Could only E be pure??

Thanks for taking the time to look. Please note that the letter IDs here are different from the first set. I can't recognize each of them from the original pics!

Cheers!
D and E are cockerels. I is a possible cockerel, and has yellowish feet so isn’t pure. All are mixed except for F and G, though the amount of white on F is suspicious, it could all go away as she gets older.

Back
Top Bottom