Black Australorp dead mysteriously

ScottK

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Redmond, WA
We just came home from vacation and found our 8 month old black australorp dead. She had rigor, but her body core was still warm (warmer than the 47 degrees it is here anyway). No evidence of any physical damage and she was inside the coop with the other 13 birds and it is very secure. A neighbor kid was taking care of them and I don't think she did anything wrong, but I don't know if there were symptoms up until she died, which must have been last night.

When I looked really carefully into her feathers I find at the base of her feathers on her stomach and back towards her butt there is an off-white substance oozing out of her. A bacterial infection of some kind? Does anyone have any ideas what did this? Egg-bound? I have no experience in this kind of death. The other chickens appear to be fine and were quite happy to get out and free-range again. My rooster came over kinda submissive like and gave her a gentle peck on the face when I showed him her body.

Last edited:
Quote:
hit.gif
I'm so sorry for you, your roo, and that sweet hen! I don't think she was egg bound, but I have NO idea what caused this. so sorry...
hugs.gif

look up fowl pox and see if any similarities fit. I am dealing with fowl pox now in my flock. 2 weeks ago I had a very weak and lethargic hen and after 2 days of this she laid down and would have died but we culled her instead. Now this morning my rooster is acting the same way. I got some antibiotic powder and mixed with water and when I opened his beak he had lesions in his mouth and his comb has black crusty spots on it, now I believe he has fowl pox. I'm going to feed him and give him water through the dropper and hope he will stay alive. Maybe your bird had this too.

Thanks for the condolencecs. It's not pox. The girl watching them said my australorp was keeping to herself last night - was in the outside coop by herself until late and then this morning she was alive but was not alllowed (by the rooster) to have treats with the others. Obviously the other chickens knew she was sick. She apparently died shortly after that since she was still warm when we got home.

Back
Top Bottom