Black Australorp Feathering

Would you mind if I tap into your wealth if australorp knowledge?
This is poppy (we think she’s pullet) her comb color is very different from everyone with black specks and pink and also slightly tilted to the left. Its always tilted and it looks like it’s straightening out more with time. Is this something we should pay close attention to long term?

I'm not knowledgeable enough about chicken genetics to be sure, but one of my girls has what's called "Gypsy Face" -- dark pigment in the face. That might be a variation on it.

If you read forward from this post you can see what the genetics experts said about her: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ask-anything-to-nicalandia-thread.1509343/post-26099013

IIRC, it's a show flaw, but it's of no concern to a backyard pet owner. :)

I'm not knowledgeable enough about chicken genetics to be sure, but one of my girls has what's called "Gypsy Face" -- dark pigment in the face. That might be a variation on it.

If you read forward from this post you can see what the genetics experts said about her: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ask-anything-to-nicalandia-thread.1509343/post-26099013

IIRC, it's a show flaw, but it's of no concern to a backyard pet owner. :)
Thank you! This is so helpful because I noticed they both have white feathers in between their black feathers which I love and adds to their character and the post talks about that ❤️

They are right about five weeks old.

He/she is the super sweet but also the most afraid of all.
Too early to be sure on this one. Boys often have heavy legs and are first to show wattles. I think I see wattles starting to peek through. The upright posture also suggests boy. But as pale as the comb and wattles are it's still unknown. I'd go maybe 60% boy.

This is poppy
All we have to go by is the head. Again, I think I see wattles but the color is pink, not as red as I'd expect a boy to be at that age. I have no idea.

They are right about five weeks old.

Too early to be sure on this one. Boys often have heavy legs and are first to show wattles. I think I see wattles starting to peek through. The upright posture also suggests boy. But as pale as the comb and wattles are it's still unknown. I'd go maybe 60% boy.

All we have to go by is the head. Again, I think I see wattles but the color is pink, not as red as I'd expect a boy to be at that age. I have no idea.
Thanks for this info! It’s fun to see different perspectives. 🤗 for poppy I was more concerned about their comb incase it was something concerning.
Time will confirm and I will keep folks posted!

Here to see how your black australorps grew up. I have a black australorp, and I remember her starting out looking penguin-like, then hit a very homely scraggly teenage stage, and eventually feathered out to a beautiful shiny black hen. She's a wonderful girl. Hope you have two ladies!

Back
Top Bottom