black australorp hen or rooster? PICS

Well after staying up most of the night reading I believe its a Roo, especially since I found buds where the spurs should go. Here are two more pics though so I can get an official word. Praying he doesn't start crowing, just because I promised neighbors we were only getting girls. I would keep the guy now that I know the eggs are edible. Such a pretty and great tempered thing. I honestly have no idea how old. We got them end of August and they were the size in my profile pic. This is my first ever attempt at chickens and probably did not ask the correct questions even after reading 2 books. I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm learning so much!

In the first picture the one to the right is a rooster.
Towards the left of the second picture you have a hen.

anyone willing to venture as to whether mine is male or female.so hard to tell with this breed.

Last edited:
Here's
[/IMG]a couple more I'm not sure if they're good enough to tell but any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks Steve

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

A little help her please... I bought these 'pullets' from the feed store to offset my mother-n-laws two pullets white leghorns but they have exsploded in size and my mother-n-law fears they are both Roos.. Not hens... Ideas?

I found this thread wondering about my black Australorp who is very affectionate, slightly bossy, and, the part that has me wondering
the most is that she is the first to give a warning call (loud clucking) when a neighborhood cat runs by the pen. Her "hardware," as I call it (comb and wattle) are a little more pronounced than her "sisyets'l,but they are all different breeds. Any strong feelings on hen vs. roo? She's about 17 weeks old.

I found this thread wondering about my black Australorp who is very affectionate, slightly bossy, and, the part that has me wondering
the most is that she is the first to give a warning call (loud clucking) when a neighborhood cat runs by the pen. Her "hardware," as I call it (comb and wattle) are a little more pronounced than her "sisyets'l,but they are all different breeds. Any strong feelings on hen vs. roo? She's about 17 weeks old.

Hummmm that's looks like a roo. Can't be positive because I can't see the tail feathers and hackle feathers very well on my phone but s/he looks very prominate with that comb and waddle for a 17 week old. My girls didn't develop well until right at point of lay.

Back
Top Bottom