Black australorp not laying / Cayanne Pepper??

knc512

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Hello all!! I have a black australorp that is about 24 weeks, her comb and wattle are already red, just as red as my leghorns who are already laying. I was curious as to when she may lay. There are not any signs of wanting to lay (squatting, in and out of the nesting box...etc). i just read the post about internal laying. should i be concerned?

Thanks,
KNC

Last edited:
Hi, I wouldn't worry too much, one of mine laid her first egg today and she is 27 weeks my other three are the same age and are still not laying, frustrating I know. Don't know much about internal laying hopefully someone else can help you there
hu.gif

Eh, you're just hitting the six month mark. I think she's just not ready yet. My Easter Eggers were the last ones to start laying, and I think they were older than 24 weeks. I'm sure it's frustrating, but be patient. I've heard many times that if a chicken starts laying too early then she'll have a lot of trouble during her laying years, so be glad she's taking her time. (And know you're going to love those eggs when they come!)

My BA is the same age as yours, and hasn't started laying yet.

Are you feeding oyster shell? I thought I had OS in my run, but checked last night, and there was none there, so I filled up the new OS feeder and put it in. The three hens that haven't started laying yet immediately started eating the shell, but one of the ones that is already laying looked at it and walked away with out eating any. This makes me think that the ones that aren't laying yet were low on calcium. Should be interesting to see if they start laying in the next week or two!

Quote:
Seriously?? can anyone else confirm? no offense! Sorry to question but you never know what types of people are lurking in forums.

The chicken will most likely start laying in mid to late october but then winter is on it's way.By next spring when the sun is out longer you will have a laying machine.Unless you put a light on to extend the daylight.

Quote:
Seriously?? can anyone else confirm? no offense! Sorry to question but you never know what types of people are lurking in forums.

I heard that exact advice from someone at work yesterday who has had chickens much longer than I have. He was referring to older birds however. Sounded like an old wives tale to me.
big_smile.png

I did it last winter as well, and they started laying better! But... I wouldn't want to put it in her feed during this heat?

There are a bunch of threads on the use of cheyenne pepper to increase laying, not necessarily to get layers to start. I would honestly just wait though, 24 weeks is still pretty young.

Back
Top Bottom