1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp question!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by werttyy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. werttyy

werttyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Chicago
    when did your BA start laying? Not when she has reached a normal egg size, but instead, when she just STARTS. I'm really excited for my BA!!! Thanks. By the way, I've done some research and got mixed results. :S

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I have 2 black australorp hens. They both started laying at about 5 months old. Great breed.

3. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I had one start at 5 month, and 2 weeks of age. She was born mid-April.

4. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm not sure about the exact age of my three BA's but I got them at "point of lay" around 18 - 24 weeks old, and one started laying 6 weeks later. Still waiting for the other two to start. One looks ready, the other still looks immature.

Florin, our one who is laying only started earlier this week but has given us 5 eggs already, and they range in size from 48g - 55g and all have been perfectly formed.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is very individual for each chicken. With a flockof 10 BA's, I'd expect to see the first egg around week 20. 18 weeks would not be that unusual, but usually around 20 weeks.

I'd expect half of them to be laying around week 24 to 25. This does not mean 5 eggs a day because they will sometimes skip days, but 5 would occasionally be contributing.

When would the last one start laying? Maybe around week 27, maybe several months later.

It sounds like you only have one. Did you get one that starts early or late? I sure don't know.

I like the BA's both from a personality and egg laying perspective. I think it is a very good breed.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by