Black Australorp - Rooster or Hen?

I have a couple that I got today. The chicken in question, Kylo, is the one with the brighter red wattle. I think, after staring at him for a good half hour today, folks will probably confirm my suspicion that he's a roo. His feathers are so different than my other three australorps. His personality is pretty good though, so...i might keep him.

Silly question - but if he stays and we have a couple fertilized eggs, will there be anything weird about those eggs if i harvest after a day and refrigerate? I know there won't be a partially formed chick in there, but want to know what I'm getting into. Thoughts?
Have no worries about the eggs. Embryos do not develop unless the hen sits on them or you incubate. And they have to be consistently warm for longer than it takes for the hen to lay another egg in the nest to start developing. Otherwise, a nest of eggs would never hatch all at the same time. They don't start to develop until the broody hen sets on them all the time or you put them in an incubator.

Have no worries about the eggs. Embryos do not develop unless the hen sits on them or you incubate. And they have to be consistently warm for longer than it takes for the hen to lay another egg in the nest to start developing. Otherwise, a nest of eggs would never hatch all at the same time. They don't start to develop until the broody hen sets on them all the time or you put them in an incubator.
THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom