Black Australorp. ..runt?

JohnBoysWife

Hatching
Mar 7, 2016
NE, Ohio

First off I would like to say I'm new to raising chickens. This site has been a big help. This is my first post so hopefully you guys can help. We have an assortment of 39 chicks they are roughly 5 weeks old. 10 of which are black australorps. They were all bought at the same time. The pictures are of the one we deemed Chicken Little. It hasn't grown a whole lot. As you can see compared to the other chicks. Is it a runt? Is there another explanation? Thank you in advance. Any help would be appreciated.

It eats right along with the others. It doesn't get picked on. It runs around and acts like the rest. We call it the little mob boss. Hahaha my mother in law said she's never heard of a runt chicken either.

Every now and then, a chick that doesn't grow normal pops up. It happens. As long as they are healthy, and eat and drink normally, there is no cause for concern. They do eventually catch up with their hatch mates in size.
With 39 chicks, make sure that there is ample room and several (more than 3) food and water stations.

Back
Top Bottom