Black Austrolorp Breed Club and Discussion

Hi I help a woman out on her farm i have no chickens of my own because i am not old enough and dont have enough room at home i wondering are BA's broody frequently i am considering giving her the other chickens fertile eggs to incubate when/ if she goes broody because the other chickens do not go broody frequently according to the breed standard (the other hens are red sex links and the only other chickens are black wyandotte bantam whom we suspect are roosters) i was hoping she would become broody as her owner said she has exhibited broodiness in the past with infertile eggs but she hasnt exhibited it in a while (other than reluctance to get off eggs after being laid laying and sleeping in the same box everytime with the eggs hissing loudly when i'm in the coop while shes laying her eggs ) so i was wondering does the breed in general go broody relatively frequently or not?

My neighbors BAs are broody all the time! More often than not.

Has anyone had trouble with their BA egg shells being so hard and the membrane so tough that you have to help them out of their shells or they can't get out? Is it just the hot dry weather?

Has anyone had trouble with their BA egg shells being so hard and the membrane so tough that you have to help them out of their shells or they can't get out? Is it just the hot dry weather?

It sounds like from your description of the membrane part that you need more moisture in the egg. Maybe your flock needs more water. In the summer it is beneficial to change out your chickens old, hot water for fresh, cool water several times a day, chickens like cool water on a hot day just like us. It helps them drink and they are less prone to get dehydrated.

Thanks, I only change the water every couple of days so will start doing it everyday. I also have been misting the underside of my broody hen e few times a week to see if the extra humidity helps. We will see next weekend! I will let you know how it turns out!

Thanks, I only change the water every couple of days so will start doing it everyday. I also have been misting the underside of my broody hen e few times a week to see if the extra humidity helps. We will see next weekend! I will let you know how it turns out!

I hope it goes well for you!!! Yes, please keep me updated, I would love to know!

Last edited:
Hi, I have three bantam chicks that are 2 weeks old -- above is a picture of two -- I was wondering whether they could possibly be bantam australorps.

Thank you for any help with this!!!!

Back
Top Bottom