Black Austrolorps~Good Layers?? ~~

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickens4me, Mar 14, 2009.

1. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    ~~Black Austrolorps. Are they really good egg-layers even through the summers & winters?

My nine standard laying hens only layed maybe 1 to 2 eggs a day this last winter. [​IMG] I still like them though...... [​IMG]

But I soooo want eggs all year round! [​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Our Austrolorps slowed during the winter months but our Black Sex-Links and Leghorns just kept right on laying.

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I've
    always found that to be true and helpful. The little pictures of the eggs beside each breed shows how good a lay they are on a scale of 1-5. And then if theres a little snow flake under the picture of the eggs it means theyre a great winter laying breed.

4. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Well i dont know about the Austrolorps but if you want eggs year round get leghorns and a light for your coop. BUT Leghorns are not that nice. You would have to handel them all the time when babys i think. I have 9 pulet leghorns and i get some times 10 - 12 eggs! LOL. So i would get them if you want a LOT of eggs. But they are not the nicest birds. Hope that helps!

Chicken Girl

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You bet they are good layers!

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I don't have Austrolorps but I can add that my BSL's have been great layers all winter long, something I didn't expect. I looked at Austrolorps last week but held off wondering if the claim was really true about being great layers year round. I tend to be leery of those types of things.

7. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

They are good layers of brown eggs and they can go broody somtimes and some of mine are friendly

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    My one hen is an AMAZING layer. At least one a day, all summer, and all winter. Not to mention shes my friendliest adult bird!!!

I love her to death, and when I start a my 'breeding program', you can bet that Australorps will be one of my first breeds.

9. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:What size is the egg? I think BA hold the record for most eggs laid. 364 out of 365 days.

10. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine is a good layer and her eggs are average size brown eggs--not the biggest eggs, but not small. My chick I incubated and hatched last week was from her and my Buff Orpington Rooster. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by