Black beans

plynneb

Chirping
Apr 30, 2016
I have some black beans and black eyes peas I want to soak and offer to the chickens. Any reason not too?

Beans have a a inhibitor that is considered slightly toxic that is destroyed by cooking. Beans like soybeans are roasted first before they are ground to use in feeds. A few beans won't kill them. Mine are let in the garden after the last harvest with many left over beans around and survived that.. If you are feeding a lot cook them first

Thank you for the feedback
263a.png

Beans have a a inhibitor that is considered slightly toxic that is destroyed by cooking. Beans like soybeans are roasted first before they are ground to use in feeds. A few beans won't kill them. Mine are let in the garden after the last harvest with many left over beans around and survived that.. If you are feeding a lot cook them first
2X

I make a mash out of mixed beans, a little fish, some spinach and corn. I soak the beans all day and then cook them thoroughly. They love it, they are packed with protein and are not expensive.

I also add a tbsp. of cod liver oil or a single vitamin A/D pill, just to keep the appropriate nutrient balance. That would be into a pretty large pot of beans though. Probably two gallons or more.

Back
Top Bottom