Black Bears...should I be worried?

I guess eastern bears have more manners than my western black bears. They look at my coops and run as if there is a big sign on it saying, "Meat Market".

Before I installed electric hot wire, bears would be a constant problem, drawn in by the chickens. When bears sight the live chickens, I may as well not even exist, their focus is so determined. Even banging two pots together and screaming at them gets no reaction, as intent on the chickens they are. One time I even went up to the bear and dropped a big rock on its back to get its attention. Not recommended. Luckily, I didn't get eaten.

The hot wire is ineffective against the thick insulation of a bear's hide, but the secret is to mount the hot wires against a solid surface, held in place with the proper insulators. This forces the bear to "contemplate the wire" rather than evading it by jumping through the strands as when you have it as a free-standing fence.

If the bear has to scale a fence, instead of jumping over or through the strands, then you can be sure it will make contact with the hot wire as it investigates and plans how to get past the barrier. Peanut butter dabbed at intervals on the fence assures the bear will taste or smell the hot wire and get a painful shock. This will almost completely guarantee that the bear will not return.

Just because you have never experienced a bear showing interest in your chickens does not guarantee it never will happen. It's not as if they signed some kind of agreement to leave your chickens alone.

[quote name="azygous" url="/t/1163760/black-bears-should-i-be-worried#post_

The hot wire is ineffective against the thick insulation of a bear's hide, but the secret is to mount the hot wires against a solid surface, held in place with the proper insulators. This forces the bear to "contemplate the wire" rather than evading it by jumping through the strands as when you have it as a free-standing fence.
[/quote]

I have a split 2 rail fence that I am going to put up, so I think this may work well with the electric fence. And the peanut butter might even help to keep other animals away, as well!

My dear wife use to think that black bears were cute until she saw one pounce on a deer fawn in the Smokey Mountain National Park.  

The really cool part was when a pain in the butt deer fawn lover tried to rescue the deer. 

Bear 2
Deer 0.

Omg! I got a mental picture when I read your comment
1f923.png

Last edited:
Congrats on the chicks! I just picked up 8 more on Saturday as well. They are in my brooder on my dining room table.

My bear keeps coming around, and getting a little too cozy for my taste. I picked up an air horn that is powered by a can of compressed air and a 2500 lumen LED flashlight that shines 700 yards. Last night he was in the yard, on the other side of our chain link fence so I went outside, got within 20 feet of him and lit him up with the spot light and blew the air horn at him. He took off like a shot into the woods. I followed him a bit, and lit him up one more time with another loud blast from the horn and he scooted off across my field. Can't get him thinking my backyard is his new home! We live next to several thousand acres of woods that is state owned protected land, so he has plenty of other space to make as his home.

Took this pic a couple of days ago on April 1.

Back
Top Bottom