1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black bugs and spots on hens head and comb

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Fraunie, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Fraunie

Fraunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Elfin Forest
    Ok first, I might have two problems here. At first, a few weeks ago I noticed a few very small black speck spots on my chicken combs. I didn't think much of it, they looked like little blood spots from pecking and I have a few hens that are not so nice. It wasn't on every bird, but maybe 15%.

Today, I noticed a few had heads that looked funny, and had a LOT of black specks round their faces and ears. Upon inspection, I noticed what appear to be small black bugs all over the underside of their beaks, necks and around their eyes. I couldn't easily pick them off, but on a few hens, there were tons of them. One the one I examined, I didn't see anything else on their bodies. The bugs looked to be attacked like ticks, but small like ants, smooth bodied like fleas. I can't find anything in researching about similar insects. They aren't lice, are much bigger than mites and from what I read I am not sure about fowl lice??? Any ideas? All in all it seems that I might have about 10% of flock that have these visibly around their heads, so I am guessing other have smaller infestations. I have about 40 chickens total.

Also, I have at least one hen that has larger black raised spots on her comb, she is very skiddish buttercup, so I couldn't catcher her during the day, I am now looking up black scab, too.

2. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    well a large black scab on the bottom of the foot could be Bumble foot

3. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    1 person likes this.
  4. nab58