Black bumps on Comb???

kbroom

Songster
Jan 26, 2023
Does anyone have the same "problem," if it is a problem? My Sweetie (Rock Barred) has black bumps now appearing on her comb and waddles. I don't know if I should be alarmed about it or not. Does anyone know about this?

Attachments

• IMG_5006.JPG
    IMG_5006.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5005.JPG
    IMG_5005.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5004.JPG
    IMG_5004.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 12
It's Fowl Pox, a virus. Infected mosquitos are the vector. It will run its course in about 4 to 6 weeks and the lesions will eventually shrink and fall off. There is no treatment. The lesions are infective, you can put iodine on the lesions to help shrink them, avoid the eyes.
Your birds will be immune to that particular strain thereafter. Eggs are safe to eat.

Thank you SO MUCH! I've scraped the top layer of the pen and extension. I always keep their inner coop very clean. Their sandbox is normally changed weekly. I wet it down, mix it with a shovel, and train a fan on it to help with the heat. Ice bottles, ice cubes, in water containers, and water melon at the peek of the temperatures. I've ordered some disinfectant suggested here, for cleaning the coop. I change the straw in the stalls every day. I'm going to start with the iodine tomorrow.
Question: How do I apply the iodine? by a soaked q-tip? cotton ball? Will it burn her? If I had put fine screen around the chicken wire, would it have prevented this? I'm so grateful for any information you can give me. These are like my babies. Yes, they give me eggs. OK. I have them, but haven't eaten them...yet...I will...later.

Attachments

• IMG_4980.JPG
    IMG_4980.JPG
    534.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4709.JPG
    IMG_4709.JPG
    465.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 9
I agree with Dawg53, fowl pox. The giveaway is where you can see the beige early stages of the scabs that turn dark brown.
Thank you so much for the info. I'm so lucky to have friends here that know something about everything for these birds! I've already got my plans for tomorrow. I've already removed the top layer of their pen. I've always removed their straw from the coop. When the disinfectant comes, within a day or two, I'll be using it. Good thing Sweetie comes to me, when I call her. I'll be putting iodine on her comb. This is all part of the learning curve for new chicken mommies... thanks again everybody!

Thank you SO MUCH! I've scraped the top layer of the pen and extension. I always keep their inner coop very clean. Their sandbox is normally changed weekly. I wet it down, mix it with a shovel, and train a fan on it to help with the heat. Ice bottles, ice cubes, in water containers, and water melon at the peek of the temperatures. I've ordered some disinfectant suggested here, for cleaning the coop. I change the straw in the stalls every day. I'm going to start with the iodine tomorrow.
Question: How do I apply the iodine? by a soaked q-tip? cotton ball? Will it burn her? If I had put fine screen around the chicken wire, would it have prevented this? I'm so grateful for any information you can give me. These are like my babies. Yes, they give me eggs. OK. I have them, but haven't eaten them...yet...I will...later.
It's great you're keeping everything as clean as possible. It been hot here as well and I do the same things that you're doing, ie; ice bottles in waterers, spraying water on the sand in the pens and using fans in the coops and pens.
Remember, mosquitos are mostly active in the early morning and evening. I've installed window screen over all the vents in all the coops, and strips to the entrance on each coop. It helps deter mosquitos from getting inside the coops.

The iodine will not burn birds because you're putting it on lesions to kill the virus. The lesions/scabs are infective. The lesions will shrink in time after applying the iodine. You can use a q-tip to apply the iodine or by whatever means is easiest for you, just avoid the eyes.
If there is a lesion or scab near an eye and the chicken scratches it, it may cause a bacterial infection in the eye. If that happens, put a tiny amount of Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin in the eye to prevent a bacterial infection.
Here's a pic showing screen to the coop entrance:
002.JPG

I just saw my baby has these too! Both black and green spots. I thought they were fungus so I put on some vetrx but not sure what it is. Why are some black and some green and should I be doing something else? Also, should their combs be standing straight up because my girls all flop to one side. Its been so hot they don't sleep in their house any more but roosting in the coop right out side the hen house. I'm in SE FL (palm beach gardens)

Attachments

• comb spots-0549.jpg
    comb spots-0549.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 6
Was hard to take a picture and hold her at the same time...but some are black some are green. She's a welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom