Black Copper Maran and Oliver Eggers

ChickChickHorray

Chirping
Mar 3, 2018
West Tn, Zone 7
Hi all. I'm thinking about adding a Black Copper Maran and an Oliver Egger to my flock. I have a Blue Maran, but I read that Black Copper Marans aren't heat hardy. I live in West Tn, Zone 7. Is there any reason a Black Copper Maran would be any less heat hardy than a Blue Copper Maran? I keep fans in the run to keep my hens cool. I'm also reading that Silver Cuckoo Marans lay darker eggs than Black Marans, can someone clarify? I'm only just starting to add Marans and it's nice to hear from people who have actually keep them. I'm also thinking of adding an Olive Egger to get a nice green egg, does anyone have one? Are they docile and could they do well in warmer weather?
Thanks everyone!

They’re the same breed, just different colours. I read often that certain colours lay darker eggs, what it depends on is the line. One breeder of BCM may breed for production, which weakens egg colour. Whilst the other BCM breeder may breed for egg colour, which lowers production. Regardless of what colour Marans, check that they’re being bred for egg colour.

Any chicken can be tame or feral, as long as you hang out with them and pet them, they’ll be tame - this applies to olive eggers. As for heat tolerance, it will depend on the breeds used. More often than not olive eggers are made from blue layer to a Marans, but they can be made by mixing any brown and blue layer. A tall single comb will fare them well in hot weather, so look for that.

They’re the same breed, just different colours. I read often that certain colours lay darker eggs, what it depends on is the line. One breeder of BCM may breed for production, which weakens egg colour. Whilst the other BCM breeder may breed for egg colour, which lowers production. Regardless of what colour Marans, check that they’re being bred for egg colour.

Any chicken can be tame or feral, as long as you hang out with them and pet them, they’ll be tame - this applies to olive eggers. As for heat tolerance, it will depend on the breeds used. More often than not olive eggers are made from blue layer to a Marans, but they can be made by mixing any brown and blue layer. A tall single comb will fare them well in hot weather, so look for that.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom