Black Copper Maran Chicks - Guessing Which Sex?? (Just for Fun) -PICS

I have two 2 day old black copper Maran chicks. They were both born with little combs! I can see the teeth on them. Do you think that's a breed thing or they're both very much roosters??
smile.png
I'm not the expert - I ended up with brand new Black Copper Maran chicks by happy accident. I do think it's a breed thing, though, from what I've been hearing around the forum. Mine were the same way, but it's still too early to truly now. I'm waiting to hear some crowing. Enjoy your babies!

Update at 2 1/2 weeks: This top photo is Buttercup, who has a small voice and a tiny charcoal coloured comb...

The bottom photo is Cannonball, who is much more assertive, has a big voice and a big golden comb. They look and act quite different, and I am wondering if this is individual bird quirks or if I indeed have a hen-to-be and a roo-in-progress. Thoughts??

The chicks are four weeks old, now, and still thriving.
Picture #1:
Cannonball is on the left. Goldenthroat (Buttercup) is on the right. Baby Peachick is their buddy.

Picture #2
Check out Cannonball's big comb! Goldenthroat still has just a tiny grey ridge. (She) also makes beautiful trilling sounds. None of my other birds make that sound.

Picture #3
Cannonball owning the yard at 4 weeks old. If this is not a cockerel, I will have one assertive, independent, big-combed pullet!

Any thoughts? When will I be able to verify the sex of these birds? Peababy LOVES Cannonball. They stick together like glue. I hope I am wrong about Cannonball, because I would be happy to keep all my chicks, but I can't keep a rooster.

Behaviour notes at five weeks:

Little Buttercup is taking many dirt baths daily. Little peachick watched at first, and now takes dirt baths right along side.
Cannonball, I never see taking dirt baths. The suspected cockerel stands watch while the other two lay in the dirt.

Little P seems to be crushing on Cannonball, so I'll be sorry if I have to separate them one day...

Also: I let them play near our big hens for a bit. The hens were hostile towards Buttercup, but ignored Cannonball. Not sure if that signifies anything. Do hens know which chicks are pullets at that early age?

Here are my dear little FBCMs at almost 6 weeks. The comb difference - very visible at Day 1 - is just outrageous. Is there any chance that I could have two pullets or two cockerels, looking at this pic? I would be surprised, though would actually be happy to have two hens.

Back
Top Bottom