Black Copper Maran Hen and Cream Legbar Roo Mix

abbey21

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2016
Augusta, GA
Hey! I am wondering if anyone has mixed a Black Copper Maran Hen with a Cream Leg Bar Rooster to get Olive Eggers? I have read where many have put a BCM rooster over a CLB Hen and they were still able to autosex the chicks. Does this work if with the BCM Hen and CLB Roos? I have a few 3 week old chicks and I am wondering if I can tell the males from the females? I have some that are definitely female (eyeliner and chipmunk pattern) but also some that are grey with white spots and some that are black with white spots. Very curious to how this would work out : ) Really I am just hoping for pretty green eggs ;)
thanks!!

It would be sex linked, not autosexing, however it will not work in your situation. A solid cock (eg BCM) over a barred hen (eg CLB) does yield sex linked offspring (sex linkage being similar to autosexing, but only working for the first generation, not any following ones), however it does not work done vice versa. The hen needs to be barred, not the cock. None of your chicks will be sex linked, so any gender could be any color pattern.

In any case, you will be receiving some nice olive eggs from the chicks which are female.

I agree you should get olive eggers, but your cross is backwards for any sex linking. And no auto sexing from that cross, no matter which parent is which.

Great! Thanks guys! This is actually good news because I have three with white dots (out of 7) and I am hoping they aren't all males. Thanks for explaining! They are only 3 weeks so I still have a while to go, but I can't wait for eggs
1f373.png

Both those birds look like pullets, but something's off.

If the Legbar is the father, and he's pure bred, all his chicks should be barred to some degree. You've got non barred birds, so either they have a different father or he's not purebred.

I bought them from a local lady. Not sure if they are pure bred or not. I'm just hoping for Olive eggs. Most of mine are barred. In fact, all my Roos are definitely barred but they aren't pictures. The bottom chick has me concerned that she is just a BCM or a F2 Olive Egger. Hoping for an F2 but would love her regardless : ) the top chick is more barred the older it gets. It has me most concerned that it is a too since it's comb is slightly pink. My other Roos have giant combs and wattles though. So either pullet or late bloomer
1f91e-1f3fc.png

What was the end result of the chicks? I’m currently in the same situation. I have two roosters CLB AND BCM and hens if those breeds. We ended up hatching 12 eggs and wanting to sex them.

Back
Top Bottom