Black Copper Maran [Sport?] Chick - Pictures:

Wheaten has nothing to do with yellow legs. Sorry!

You can tell BC roos apart from wheaten roos by the brown triangle in the wing of the wheatens. They have brown in the primary and secondary feathers -- and when the wing is folded, it makes a triangle. Wheatens are also *usually* lighter in the red/gold areas than BCs, but not always.

Last edited:
Quote:
do you know then what may possibly cause yellow legs? This chick is from Ninjapoodles eggies this is the first she has seen of that from her own flock, and that's the only one that hatched from her eggs that I got that has yellow legs. I'll post a picture of him I haven updated in a while.

Yeppers I know how to tell the difference between them as adults the wing thing is a dead givaway once I knew about that, and someone else also said that the vent area is colored differently, and I noticed that the neck feathers are lighter as you mention as well
smile.png

I don't know a whole lot about the genetics of leg color yet. But I do know that white skin color is dominant over yellow. Therefore, the yellow skin gene can hide in a flock just the same way as the wheaten gene can, to pop out randomly when you least expect it.
wink.png

Quote:
Welll....I wouldn't call it "tainted", just because that puts such a value judgment on it. In objective terms, you know that at least some birds in that BC flock are carrying the wheaten gene.

"Touched"

The OP's BC flock is "Touched" by the Wheaties Gene. Somewhere.

big_smile.png

I purchased a dozen Black Copper Marans eggs from bargain who got hers from Black Copper King. As I understand these are Wade Jean lines. Having said that, I hatched 6 out of the 12. One of the 6 hatched out what I am assuming is Wheaten. The chick is feather legged and a beautiful light yellow color all over. I watched this chick zip and hatch and I was quite surprised to see it pop out this color. I will try to get a picture and post. Can someone with Wheaten Marans tell me what the chicks look like?

Wheaten Marans chicks are yellow. Sometimes chicks from copper blacks which are carrying wheaten hatch our with an orange cast. I'm guessing these chicks have picked up mahogany from the copper blacks & will not be 'normal' wheatens. Also cooper black lines carrying wheaten will; need to be watched for hackles which are too light, this would probably be caused by the loss of mahogany from being crossed at some point with wheatens.

Back
Top Bottom