Black Copper Maran [Sport?] Chick - Pictures:

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by QuailHollow, Mar 14, 2009.

1. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I'm trying.

In fact, many people say I'm VERY trying. [​IMG]

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Keep on keepin on I know more than me appreciates it! [​IMG]

3. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Quote:Keep on keepin on I know more than me appreciates it! [​IMG]

f'realio, I gotta give a shout-out to the doc!

We totally appreciate the schooling.

[​IMG]

So, let me see if I've got this correct...

aberfitch has some Wheatie peeps that came from BCs which carry the Wheatie gene.

Those Wheatie peeps will always breed true for Wheaties, right?

So the BC line is...well...for lack of a better euphemism, "tainted"...but the Wheaties are just fine, right?

I wonder now if those Wheatie peeps are ideal candidates for throwing some super-dark eggs in the future? Or no?

Did all Wheaties originally come from Black Coppers?

I would be thrilled if my BCs grow up and throw some Wheaties. They're not for show anyways...just for looks.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is no perfect person and no perfect breeding program. The best way to make progress is to be rational and open about discussing problems.

Love this statement--wish everyone would be as openminded.

Suze​

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    it is the ressive gene. Some call it sport.

Actually, that isn't really a sport. A sport is when the offspring develop a mutation that shouldn't occur based upon the parents' genes. For example if both parents are homozygous for a gene and an offspring instead develops something else--perhaps an existing allele for the gene, but not one the parents carry, or perhaps an actual new allele.

BTW, I prefer the looks of the "goldens" to the coppers [​IMG] But then I don't have marans, but am considering adding a hen to the laying flock if the opportunity arises.​

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Okay, I know which gene is wheaten (E^Wh). Which is black copper?

7. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:[​IMG]

aberfitch has some Wheatie peeps that came from BCs which carry the Wheatie gene.

Those Wheatie peeps will always breed true for Wheaties, right?

Basically correct. It is vaguely possible that they are carrying even more recessive genes of one sort or another, but let's not confuse ourselves too much here. They will never produce black copper, and that's the essential point for this discussion.

So the BC line is...well...for lack of a better euphemism, "tainted"...but the Wheaties are just fine, right?

Welll....I wouldn't call it "tainted", just because that puts such a value judgment on it. In objective terms, you know that at least some birds in that BC flock are carrying the wheaten gene.

I wonder now if those Wheatie peeps are ideal candidates for throwing some super-dark eggs in the future? Or no?

Wheatens often do produce nice dark eggs. Mine came from some lovely eggs. [​IMG]

Did all Wheaties originally come from Black Coppers?

According to the French Marans Club site, that is correct.​

8. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Black copper is based on birchen -- E(R). Then they also have gold -- s+/s+ -- and mahogany -- Mh -- and probably other modifiers that I don't know about.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thanks [​IMG]

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I love this thread [​IMG]

I have a question for you doc! [​IMG]

A BC marans born with yellow legs..... wheaton carrier possibly? I have one, a cockerel, he's gorgeous and if he does look more like a wheaton roo at adulthood and has good type I may just start me 2 flocks one of bcs and one of wheatons [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: