1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Copper Maran [Sport?] Chick - Pictures:

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by QuailHollow, Mar 14, 2009.

1. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2009
  2. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Wow!! What an awesome friend. I need better chicken friends. Maybe its a Wheaten. Wheaten can be a recessive to Black Copper. I think the general concensious is the Wade Jeane can throw Wheatens. If its a "sport" its a color variety that can crop up from recessive genes recognized variety or variation thereof.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:heard the same thing..... [​IMG]

4. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Given these are from RV, I wouldn't necessarily attribute the potential wheaten from Wade's line. I have not seen WJ birds without feathered shanks. Who knows what the breeding is on those birds.....

I think they are cute and good luck with them!

Edited to add: I've heard that too, and I know where that piece of info started, and I am not convinced......

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Most likely it is a wheaten.

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    yeah sports i've seen are actually white and that cutie looks marked [​IMG]

They are beautiful Sam!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks guys! I'll probably give him away to one of the local kids for a 4H project, but I wanted to know what the deal was with this so I could explain it before she came over tomorrow. [​IMG]

8. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

The birds are probably "throwing" different coloured chicks because they have been crossed with other colours further back in their lines.

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    If it's a Wade Jeane chick, it's most likely a wheaten. His birds throw a lot of wheatens.

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Have you hatched out Wade Jeane chicks, Doc? I have yet to hear of one person who has hatched his birds that are clean legged or a wheaten directly. I would like to hear from folks who know for sure their birds are from Wade Jeane and for sure have thrown wheatens from a BCM hatch. If folks haven't experienced this directly, it seems like a rumor, and not a very nice one. Not trying to pick an argument, but this is part of why there is a divide in the Marans community. I think it is unfair to repeat hearsay without direct knowledge. JMHO. [​IMG]\\

Sorry to hijack your thread Quailhollow. I just think it is important to keep sweeping statements clarified and put into perspective. They are opinions only, unless the one making the statement has experienced something, anything first hand. I am going to post this topic over on the Marans thread.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by