Black Copper Maran [Sport?] Chick - Pictures:

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by QuailHollow, Mar 14, 2009.

1. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Songster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does this help?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2009
  2. newnanchic

newnanchic Songster

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I do have Wade Jeane Black Copper Marans and I know this because we live in the same town !! I also have hatched out 6 "wheatean" marans since October when my birds started laying however my wheatean birds have feathered shanks just like the Coppers . Hope this helps it does lok like a wheatean just no feathered legs . And yes it is a throwback gene . They are beautiful just the same to me !!!

3. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I think these "blondies" are gorgeous, but I so far can't think of anything "legitimate" [​IMG] to do with them. I love to look at them, though, so I have them running with the Orpington and EE laying flock. The crossbreds are adorable from that combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:woah they are! I see why you didnt remove them from your farm! They are gorgeous just to look at!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    These would be your crossbreds' baby daddies. [​IMG] There are two of these, and my one that is almost totally red, out with the Orps and EEs. Here's WayTooMuchRedGuy (his tail is missing because a dog took it):

[​IMG]

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:haha awhh he's purty!!! [​IMG]

You gotta keep us updated on what your older crosses feather out to since yours will feather out first [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Maybe we could start a new variety. Instead of black copper, we could call em black gold or something. [​IMG]

As for your red guy, I have seen someone say that they might be used to work on a black tailed buff. Go for it!

8. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Bah. I only have room for two different breeds, and they have to take turns free-ranging! But I am loving my meaty-looking Marans/Orpington crossbreds, so I guess they have a job for the time being. I'm giving a couple away tomorrow to a retired gentleman who just likes to have some pretty roosters around his house to eat bugs, and I'm trying to decide which ones I GUESS are crossing best with the Orps.

ETA: But the "goldies" ARE pretty, aren't they? It's a crying shame they're not to standard, because I do love looking at them.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  9. aberfitch

aberfitch Songster

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    QuailHollowP&P :

I have a batch of Black Copper Marans, and a few Welsummers... I also have this chick that is white? I was told it is a 'sport' BC Marans. What does this mean? ETA: The yellow leg bands are Wade Jeane bloodlines. The rest are Ray Valentine. These birds were given to me because a good friend had a surplus:

http://webpages.atlanticbb.net/~slattieri/pictures/MaranBabies.jpg
    http://webpages.atlanticbb.net/~slattieri/pictures/BCMaran.jpg
    http://webpages.atlanticbb.net/~slattieri/pictures/Sport.jpg
    http://webpages.atlanticbb.net/~slattieri/pictures/Sport2.jpg

I just hatched out 6 black copper marans and 3 were white. These eggs were dark dark brown. I was shocked and didn't know where they came from. it is the ressive gene. Some call it sport.​

10. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Songster

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Does anyone have a picture of the adult wheaton maran??

Has anyone kept any? Do they lay DARK eggs as well?

Im sure they are beautiful?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: