black copper maran?

chickiemomie

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 24, 2017
I bought these being told they are black copper marans but Is the first chick a black copper maran? She/he has almost all black feathering unlike the others. Also the second one has very few feathers on his feet.... is it normal for some to have very little feathering? Thanks

Attachments

• CC1A13C7-7FEB-44A3-BE19-5E590FD436BD.jpeg
    CC1A13C7-7FEB-44A3-BE19-5E590FD436BD.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 39
  • B5E610EB-D784-4547-8673-762926A2146F.jpeg
    B5E610EB-D784-4547-8673-762926A2146F.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 35
  • 80C8A8A5-74A8-42E2-AD4F-9EBF77F2FF86.jpeg
    80C8A8A5-74A8-42E2-AD4F-9EBF77F2FF86.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 299D7EBC-8970-4324-A009-8EE52F2B7B95.jpeg
    299D7EBC-8970-4324-A009-8EE52F2B7B95.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 35
I bought these being told they are black copper marans but Is the first chick a black copper maran? She/he has almost all black feathering unlike the others. Also the second one has very few feathers on his feet.... is it normal for some to have very little feathering? Thanks
They look like black copper marans to me! Don’t worry about the feathering, I’m sure it’s normal :)

They look like the have Marans in them, but they may not be purebred Marans.
Feathering can vary. 😊

Agree...feathering varies on the feet...and you only want feathering on the outside of the foot down the toe. It grows thicker as the chick grows.

First looks like could be BCM...although I'm not noting copper eyes....so could be mix. The coppering doesn't come into the hackles and chest for a few weeks.

Second one might be another color...feet and leg feathers are not black. Birchen? Too dark to be Blue Copper. Watch to see if other colors come in.

But at least Marans mixes or utility quality.

LofMc

Agree...feathering varies on the feet...and you only want feathering on the outside of the foot down the toe. It grows thicker as the chick grows.

First looks like could be BCM...although I'm not noting copper eyes....so could be mix. The coppering doesn't come into the hackles and chest for a few weeks.

Second one might be another color...feet and leg feathers are not black. Birchen? Too dark to be Blue Copper. Watch to see if other colors come in.

But at least Marans mixes or utility quality.

LofMc
Copper eyes? Is that a normal trait for them? Thanks for all the info!

That first one doesn’t look like BCM, should have the same markings as the other three. It does have the leg feathers, it may be a mix as others suggested

It stands for "Standard of Perfection." It's the standard for the American Poultry Association (APA) to outline what well bred examples of breeds should look like. Basically they're trying to say that if Marans are bred to this standard, they will have copper ey

It stands for "Standard of Perfection." It's the standard for the American Poultry Association (APA) to outline what well bred examples of breeds should look like. Basically they're trying to say that if Marans are bred to this standard, they will have copper eyes :)
I see, that is good to know. I am just starting on breeding Black Copper and Blue Copper Marans. I have two cockerels one is Blue and the other is Black, and eight chicks. So I'm headed outside in the duck weather(rain) to see what color their eyes are😁. Would the chicks already have copper colored eyes?

Back
Top Bottom