1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Copper Marans - boy or girl??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by meringues, Feb 1, 2016.

1. meringues

meringues New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    Canberra, Australia
    Hi all, I'm new here! I bought this young chook as a 3 week old girl. 'She' is now 11wks and looking a bit like a boy - decent comb and wattles, long legs and upright stature, and red and greenish feathers appearing on the back. What do you think?? Thanks![​IMG][/IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    He's a cockerel, sorry :(

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Definitely a cockerel. Sorry. :eek:(

4. meringues

meringues New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    Canberra, Australia
    Ok, thanks [​IMG]. Darn - I was looking forward to some lovely brown eggs! I have an araucana girl, so might see if I can breed an olive ever before I try to find a new home for him!

5. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel [​IMG]

7. meringues

meringues New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    Canberra, Australia
    Before I give up all hope, is there any chance it could be a hen of a different breed (black sex link?) or a poorly coloured BCM?? Or does the look of the comb mean it's definitely a BCM cockerel? The people I got it from we're pretty certain it was a girl, even when I sent them a photo a couple of weeks ago. Here's a couple more pics. [​IMG][/IMG]I'll wait a few more weeks before I find him a new home anyway. Just in case![​IMG]

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Dark red is starting to come in on the shoulder/wing. It is definitely a cockerel.

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on junebuggena's post. Sorry. :eek:(

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

At 12 weeks, that's way too much comb and red color in the comb for a pullet of any breed. Plus, Red Patches of Death on the wings are an exclusive male trait. Sorry.

Where are you located? Putting your location in may help find a home for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by