Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry, as far as I know, they can't be feather sexed as chicks.

2. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:here are the first 3 eggs, right to left, of a new marans hen. see how they get darker.

[​IMG]

3. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Quote:You cannot sex Marans at hatch unless they are Cuckoo.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
  5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:all three of mine had the same markings at hataching. you can try the wing sexing and see if that works. once they are dry take and gently pull out a wing if the feathers are the same length then its a roo if they are different lengths then its a hen. i have done this with my three and i am waiting to see how it turned out. on my 2 d'uccles it seems to have worked though with having thus far 2 chicks looking like pullets

6. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
  7. lcatty

lcatty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Las Cruces, NM
    Quote:It is my understanding that it takes awhile of laying before the eggs get dark.

8. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Does it take Marans longer to start to lay their first eggs?
    Thanks

9. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I've got some ameracaunas and BCM in the same pen that are the same age. The BCM has been laying for about 1 week now and nothing from the Ameracauna yet.

I think the birds that are due to start laying in the fall / winter sometimes are slower to start laying due to the weather, specifically the shorter days.

10. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:I've got some ameracaunas and BCM in the same pen that are the same age. The BCM has been laying for about 1 week now and nothing from the Ameracauna yet.

I think the birds that are due to start laying in the fall / winter sometimes are slower to start laying due to the weather, specifically the shorter days.

Fascinating! I had Ameraucanas and BCMs grow up together. The Ameraucanas started laying (at 22 weeks) a full 10 weeks before the Marans. The Marans have just started - shorter days and all!! [​IMG] I'm curious to see what my latest hatch does - also Ameraucanas and Marans - different lines this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by