Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Quote:
Theirs pics here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=602442

With BCM the comb and wattles will be a dead give away of a cockerel. The BCM tend to show large combs and wattles early ( not always, but USUALLY).

The first BCM chick with brown is looking like a pullet right now. How old is it?
I am guessing it is 1 - 2 weeks old. By 3 weeks you should have a pretty good idea with a close-up shot like you posted.

The second BCM chick I can't see the face to take a guess for you
big_smile.png

Both chicks were born the 18 of november.

It weighs exactly 50 grams. Not bad for a first egg, I was expecting the first one to be a teeny little thing, since it seems first timers gotta get the kinks figured out in their egg factory, haha.

What do you all think of this rooster? Should we eat him, rehome him, or keep him (in a cage by himself)? He is six months old, super aggressive. His name is Jean Claude (Van Damme).
hmm.png

90570_jean_claude_003.jpg

90570_jean_claude_005.jpg

90570_jean_claude_001.jpg

90570_jean_claude_002.jpg

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

First of all..if he is that aggressive....EAT HIM! No matter how pretty a bird is..if they are aggressive it's usually best to not breed them. Aggressive behaviors can be passed on to offspring.

Aside from his aggressiveness, his tail angle too high and he has some fluff at the tail break and his stance or the slope of his back is, IMO, not correct. He is too upright for the breed. Is this his normal posture? If so, I am unsure of how to bred this out or if it can be done. Hope others comment on this.
Also, looks as though his wings do not fold properly. Both the first and third photos show a feather out on both sides of him, is this normal?

I do love the amount of copper he has and the rich tone of it. He also has nice eye color.

Last edited:
Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

First of all..if he is that aggressive....EAT HIM! No matter how pretty a bird is..if they are aggressive it's usually best to not breed them. Aggressive behaviors can be passed on to offspring.

Aside from his aggressiveness, his tail angle too high and he has some fluff at the tail break and his stance or the slope of his back is, IMO, not correct. He is too upright for the breed. Is this his normal posture? If so, I am unsure of how to bred this out or if it can be done. Hope others comment on this.
Also, looks as though his wings do not fold properly. Both the first and third photos show a feather out on both sides of him, is this normal?

I do love the amount of copper he has and the rich tone of it. He also has nice eye color.

Well, he is a bit more ruffled in these pictures than normal and I don't know what to call it- on the verge of running or fighting. We had just had an altercation of sorts. He is really on the move in most of the pics. I agree his tail is too upright from what I've learned so far on this post- above 45 degrees.

I thought he was pretty and hate to get rid of him but the other day he knocked down both my three year old and my 23 month old. This has just started. I did not expect him to do that.

Do they ever chill out as they get older?

Quote:
If he was mine he'd be chillen in the refrigerator getting ready for dinner...knocking down your children isn't a good thing really I never let the roosters run around with little ones for that very reason I keep them penned

Quote:
NO they only get worse. Roosters can be VERY dangerous around young children. Get rid of him now or pen him up before one of your kids loses an eye. This is no joke!!!! Please do not let your kids near this bird. It starts as just rushing them or knocking them down, but once he has spurs he will use them and draw blood.

too bad he is a stinker......

ps Marans taste great!, put him in the oven!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom