Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:Haha what can I say, I have a house full of teens and young adults who text text text all day long...it kinda seeps in lol.

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:Your welcome... Glad they were helpful! [​IMG]
    Do you want me to touch base with some of our funky comb experts and send you some chickens with sprigs?
    I REALLY do want you folks to feel like you AREN'T missing out [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Personally, I can offer you some GREAT Thumbprint and twisted comb stock! [​IMG]
    I know a couple of people who can hook you up with the carnation comb stock. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just say the word, Friend, and I will make you COMB DREAMS come true! [​IMG] [​IMG]

It would be cool to have one big page with all the different comb defects photos all together for comparison. It would be a good reference and easier for people to understand the differences.

3. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Your welcome... Glad they were helpful! [​IMG]
    Do you want me to touch base with some of our funky comb experts and send you some chickens with sprigs?
    I REALLY do want you folks to feel like you AREN'T missing out [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Personally, I can offer you some GREAT Thumbprint and twisted comb stock! [​IMG]
    I know a couple of people who can hook you up with the carnation comb stock. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just say the word, Friend, and I will make you COMB DREAMS come true! [​IMG] [​IMG]

It would be cool to have one big page with all the different comb defects photos all together for comparison. It would be a good reference and easier for people to understand the differences.

Yeah, I got some really spooky Brown Leghorns still, maybe I could recreate Penedesencas! There's only one guy here in the country that I know has 'em, not in huge demand. Not that I want them really.

Geebs - thanks for doing the search... I didn't even know Craig's worked outside the U.S. We are in a little town called Petőfibánya. An old coal mining town that shut down in the 60's. It's a ghost of the happening place it used to be. I lived in Budapest for the first 3 years I was here. It is stunning, but has all the drawbacks of the bustling big city. The the Danube at night and the centuries old architecture is really something.

4. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    Village Chicken and mathace thanks for the info. Sounds daunting!! I didn't think about the eggs color genetics being seperate from the general chicken genetics. Am i correct in thinking that once the breeder gets the SOP birds genetics correct that it would not take much to unravel the entire thing again? Breeders will have to be careful that they know what they are breeding for!! That will take quite a bit of mentoring from people who truely understand the genetics. Do you all think that there will come a time when the breed may divide into two different groups-those breeding for egg color and those breeding for SOP? Last question is for some interesting discussion!!
    VillageChicken, the holidays must be an amazing time to be in Hungary!! I can almot hear Strausse playing in the halls!!

5. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Quote:I understand that they do that already in France....but don't quote me![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Lovely little town VC... do you live in town.... It is very rural. What language do ppl speak there? the website I have to translate but I am not sure...Is it hungarian perhaps? The Danube and the buildings on it are spectacular. Nothing like Portland with it's high rises (though a small city by comparison to LA etc) I have a beautiful picture of the town showing most of it. It is a mind blowing thing that we share the same passion a world away!!!! [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:This is being worked on currently. [​IMG]

8. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I think you already have that TWO CAMPS school of thought going on. The typical back yard chicken person just wants some super dark eggs in their egg basket. So, those folks aren't too concern if the dark egg layer has white or red ear lobes, Yellow or Slate legs, Black or orange eyes, etc. LOL

Then there is the camp that wants a SOP bird that lays a darker egg. Emphasis being on SOP bird.. . .

WITH any line of birds from any breeder, it only takes a couple of generations of poor breeding and culling practices to ruin YEARS and YEARS of improvements.
    That is why when someone says they have " so and so's" blood line, the first question you have to ask yourself is "how far removed" they are from that "so and so's" hands. The longer they have been away from the breeder, the greater the chance that they no longer represent the breeder's style / standard any more.

9. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:I think you already have that TWO CAMPS school of thought going on. The typical back yard chicken person just wants some super dark eggs in their egg basket. So, those folks aren't too concern if the dark egg layer has white or red ear lobes, Yellow or Slate legs, Black or orange eyes, etc. LOL

Then there is the camp that wants a SOP bird that lays a darker egg. Emphasis being on SOP bird.. . .

WITH any line of birds from any breeder, it only takes a couple of generations of poor breeding and culling practices to ruin YEARS and YEARS of improvements.
    That is why when someone says they have " so and so's" blood line, the first question you have to ask yourself is "how far removed" they are from that "so and so's" hands. The longer they have been away from the breeder, the greater the chance that they no longer represent the breeder's style / standard any more.

Excellent post, math!!!

10. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    AH HA YES, that is the question that I didn't know to ask!!! I bought "so and so's" bloodline from 2 seperate breeders in 2 seperate years. I am getting nice dark eggs-not as dark as Marquisella's but I'm happy. However the birds no more resemble each other than they resemble my border collie!! I am coming to realize that this problem is not confined to one breed either. Another breed that I am interested in has similar problems.
    I can see the concern among the serious breeders and the ones who are out to make a buck are still out to make a buck!! Buyer Beware!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by