Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    You feed the birds so you decide what you want in your flock...I want to show mine and have dark eggs so I cull according to my vision. In my mixing of birds who are from different lines I try to choose the closest to the SOP and I want the darkest eggs so if they don't lay a 4 they are gone no matter how pretty...if they are not close to the standard but lay dark I have people waiting for them who have no plans on breeding them just want eating eggs. I have a waiting list for my culls and love sharing birds with other breeders who are trying to improve what we have to work with. You never know when a tragedy might happen so having birds closely related to your stock makes much easier to keep working on improvement if you loose some birds at least you know the faults. I've found that a master breeder will have better stock than just a breeder make sure you buy a SOP and learn what it has in it. Many problems people have is from not knowing the standard DQ's are DQ's no matter what the breed and faults are faults if breeding birds was easy there would be plenty of perfect birds to start with.....just saying make sure you are having fun

2. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Actually poultry keeping is quite popular here. I've met lots of folks through the birds, including the town cop's 15 year old son. He watched my birds for me when I was in the U.S. We speak Hungarian here - it's a pretty unique language, isolated from the slavic neighbors around us. It's spoken in a lot of the neighboring countries too because there are parts of old hungary that got shaved away to the surrounding countries after WW1.

Pigeon keeping is even more popular than poultry. I haven't gotten into that... just not the same.

I think poultry keeping is sort of like being a dog person. You have an immediate connection with other folks like you.

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Geebs~ Sorry about your rooster. I know the heartache my friend, last week I had to cull my Welsummer rooster. [​IMG] Hugs to you sister! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Actually poultry keeping is quite popular here. I've met lots of folks through the birds, including the town cop's 15 year old son. He watched my birds for me when I was in the U.S. We speak Hungarian here - it's a pretty unique language, isolated from the slavic neighbors around us. It's spoken in a lot of the neighboring countries too because there are parts of old hungary that got shaved away to the surrounding countries after WW1.

Pigeon keeping is even more popular than poultry. I haven't gotten into that... just not the same.

I think poultry keeping is sort of like being a dog person. You have an immediate connection with other folks like you.

VC~ Profile picture is ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

VC - I haven't met you yet but I feel like I know you [​IMG] !!

LOVE the new avatar!!!! FABULOUS joyous face. [​IMG]

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Do male chicks grown brown feathers where as females grow black?

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    ha ha ha ha... [​IMG] (sorry) .... you wish it were that easy.... It is sometime next to impossible to tell the sex of this breed until much much later.... just before they crow.... usually when the males get sickle feathers and color on their backs.

VC... thanks for all the sharing... Oh and you new avatar. [​IMG] I just love "new ppl"

8. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Show us a picture of what you are referring to - Please.

9. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
  10. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Show us a picture of what you are referring to - Please.

Theirs pics here
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=602442

With BCM the comb and wattles will be a dead give away of a cockerel. The BCM tend to show large combs and wattles early ( not always, but USUALLY).

The first BCM chick with brown is looking like a pullet right now. How old is it?
    I am guessing it is 1 - 2 weeks old. By 3 weeks you should have a pretty good idea with a close-up shot like you posted.

The second BCM chick I can't see the face to take a guess for you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by