Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    I had a mean leghorn roo and he flogged me twice after I picked him up and messed around with him he calmed down never did it again. maybe its a breed thing. [​IMG]

2. lcatty

lcatty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Las Cruces, NM
    Quote:Fillmore, NY: I grew up in Romulus NY, about a mile from Cayuga Lake. I love upstate NY- lovely country.

I think I am going to get rid of this roo. Would not be opposed to eating him but gosh- is it possible to hire someone else to kill and process?

BTW here is a picture of my very first Marans egg:

[​IMG]

3. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Quote:Fillmore, NY: I grew up in Romulus NY, about a mile from Cayuga Lake. I love upstate NY- lovely country.

I think I am going to get rid of this roo. Would not be opposed to eating him but gosh- is it possible to hire someone else to kill and process?

BTW here is a picture of my very first Marans egg:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/90570_jean_claude.jpg

Im not sure about the proccessing thing as I processed my own roos and I hope one of my marans is a hen but I think their both roos. [​IMG]

4. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I am new to Marans, and I was wondering if their eggs get darker as they lay. My BCM started laying about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and her eggs are a very light tan, not dark at all. Will I get those beautiful dark brown eggs, or will she keep laying the tan ones ? here is a pic of her. It isn't the best, but she rarely stays still.
    [​IMG]

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    It does not look like a purebred copper black marans pullet. Maybe it is mixed. Where did you get her?

6. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a black sex-link that looks just like that. Looks like birchen wheaten cross.

7. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I got her from a fellow BYC'er who shows her chickens. She isn't much bigger than the banty I have.

8. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Yes, it is possible to pay someone to harvest him for you. . .

I have a friend who will harvest mine for me if I want him to. He will do it will he does his.

Others live near the Amish and they will harvest the chickens for a fee.

I would check at your local feed store AND on BYC thread for your area.

On our Florida thread, there is a lady who will take roosters for free to harvest for herself later. PLUS, she has offered to show others how to harvest their own birds.
    Although I have never asked.... I am sure she would have no obligation to harvesting some one else's bird for a fee.

Check your state's thread....

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    is this 2 roos and a hen or 2 hens and a roo....two feathered out faster than the other one

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/babygurl_tha_demon/fbcm 1/ feathered in fast (thought pullet but now with comb size i think cockreal)
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/babygurl_tha_demon/fbcm 2/ feathered in the slowest (thought cockreal but comb size is very small)
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/babygurl_tha_demon/fbcm 3/ feathered in fast (thought pullet but now with comb size i think cockreal)

10. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Some advice please: I am incubating some BCM eggs, fist batch due to hatch next week. Can anyone pm me advising how I can sex them at birth by feather markings. Thanks in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by