Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Quote: Well, my chicks hatch with pinky white feet & then darker shanks. As they grow, they tend to get a little darker...that's all I know.
idunno.gif

I was given this beautiful chap a little over a month ago but he turned out to be really mean, so he was allowed to run with my mixed flock for a few days before we invited him to dinner. We have since hatchef 10 of his offspring but since we had no marans hens they will all be cross breeds. They are mostly bkack and look like marans chicks, do you think any of them might lay dark eggs?

My 6mo old BCM roo has been attacking us over the last month. I yell at him and stare him down till he backs off. Today I was sitting in the grass feeding chicks and ducks peas when he got behind meand attacked my back scratching my back and arm. How can I stop him? My 2 bantam roos I have no problems like this.

My 6mo old BCM roo has been attacking us over the last month. I yell at him and stare him down till he backs off. Today I was sitting in the grass feeding chicks and ducks peas when he got behind meand attacked my back scratching my back and arm. How can I stop him? My 2 bantam roos I have no problems like this.
I have not seen any of this behavior in my Marans but I have seen it in some of my other breeds--and usually the one that are really friendly and docile as chicks. I grew up with Game roosters so I truly do know mean roosters, though Game roosters are usually defending their hens. That being said if your young rooster is attacking your back it is not a fear thing and since your were not messing with his hens it was probably a dominance thing and I recommend soup. If he is something you need to keep I would pen him with some other roosters with out hens and see if that helps. If it does not, when he comes at you catch him, put him under your arm facing backwards and simply carry him around for a while holding him firm. Try this every time he tries to go after you. I would try not to actually chase him if you can avoid it--this has worked on my very large Delaware rooster. With him being young just putting him in with some other young roosters might get his attention off you. I always try to run too rooster to a pen as it keeps their attention off me but sometimes even that does not work.

I had a Buff Orpington that was doing this and I had read somewhere to hold them upside down from there legs and when they stop fighting and relax gently take there head and hold their chin to there belly for a little bit. Then set him down and be on your way. I did this anytime that roo puffed up or showed any sign of aggression and was amazed at how well it worked. He went from charging over to me and attacking anytime I tried to touch the other chickens to giving me plenty of space and walking away whenever I came around. It sounds a little crazy but it worked :)

It does not sound like a fear issue. It does sound like dominance. He sees you as a stepping stone to becoming alpha roo...
If you chase him, you will be acting like another roo which won't help unless you want to fight like a roo too.

1.) Do not let him mate any females in front of you. Pick him up or interrupt the act any time it is done in front of you.
Alpha roos control who gets to mate, who gets treats, etc...

Right now, you are an equal. Do not turn your back to him. Roos are famous back attackers. Roos do not fight fair.
Also, do not get low... Stay tall. Don't let your children near him. The high pitch voices, running, and short statue will all draw unwanted attention from the roo.

If you are nasty to him, he will just up the nasty to you.

2.) Pick him up and hold him until he calms down. Stroke him, his wattles, his comb, etc. Then release, offer a treat.
I hold mine while doing chicken chores. I give the ladies treats and everything. When I am done, I release him and offer him treats out of my hand.

3.) At 6 months, this is ALL HORMONES... You may be able to establish yourself as alpha. If not, he will need to find a new home. Roos never forget. If you handle them wrong, it is hard to get a second chance. I have some roos on my property that are 2 years old. They still try to get a piece of my son for his bad handling when they were around 6 months of age. These roos do not mess with any one else. These roos are very obedient to the rest of the family. I am saying this so that you know a bad roo for you, may not be a bad roo for someone new.

Last edited:
Well, my chicks hatch with pinky white feet & then darker shanks. As they grow, they tend to get a little darker...that's all I know.
idunno.gif

Sorry but I am confused again. I thought you said white on the feet was bad ... for chicks too? Or all black is bad in chicks. I think I got lost in translation. Sorry. I have chicks here and all the ones I have had have dark shanks with grey and white or pinkish toes as well. They darken over time just as the white primaries and white chests/face markings tend to disappear. I have a chick here with a dark comb and noticed yesterday that it also has a very dark eye. I am assuming it is going to be melanized and my understanding to date is that those melanized pullets are the ones who lay darkest. So far that has been the case here anyway.

Back
Top Bottom