Black Copper Marans discussion thread

This is my son's Black Copper Marans cockerel being shown in New York this weekend. I just searched the photos and found this ONE clear shot of the K, although there were 15 clear shots of his cage tag…. kids! This boy has some issues with his hackle color, but as there was no other competition…. Yay us!

Blarney - GOOD ON YOU FOR GETTING OUT THERE AND SHOWING!!! You learn OH so much and make great contacts!! Yep, he does have that "halo" effect in his hackle. But at least you got out there! Good on you. So how did your K do at the show? He appears to be quite comfortable (settled) in his show cage. I don't mind the topline on this male at all. It runs uphill as it should...and he's got nice balance from what I can see (pictures are always so difficult to really see anything properly). Did you take a hen/pullet?

Blarney - GOOD ON YOU FOR GETTING OUT THERE AND SHOWING!!!  You learn OH so much and make great contacts!!  Yep, he does have that "halo" effect in his hackle.  But at least you got out there!  Good on you.  So how did your K do at the show?  He appears to be quite comfortable (settled) in his show cage.  I don't mind the topline on this male at all.  It runs uphill as it should...and he's got nice balance from what I can see (pictures are always so difficult to really see anything properly).  Did you take a hen/pullet?

Thanks Wynette! Good to hear that about his top line! Yes, we took a pullet. She got RB...again, they were the only 2 (Marans) birds there, I'm just thrilled with no DQs. And we did talk Poultry with a lot of folks, met some BYCers, won some prizes, had a great time!

Last edited:
I thought I lost my best pullet tonight. We have had a lot of predator sightings lately. I was upset for about an hour, threw my other favorites in a cage they can't stay in but ... I had to retaliate somehow, and then, there she is out on the lawn eating the tomato scraps I threw out. PHEW!

October 12 – 13, 2013
Michigan Poultry Fanciers
Michigan Fowl Fest ~ Birch Run, Michigan

Marans Egg Show*

Ribbons awarded for Best of each variety & People’s Choice
Trophy: Best Overall

**JUST for FUN**

$20 Cash Prize to the winner of each contest below!!

The special contests below are all based on 3-egg sets,
just as with regular egg shows. All must be

Marans eggs (or Marans cross for first contest):

Prettiest “Olive-egger” eggs

Most Heavily Speckled

Smallest set (by weight - all 3 egg weights combined)

*Anyone can enter – you need not be an MCCUSA member to enter!
$5 entry fee for each set of 3 eggs entered (eggs will be destroyed
upon end of contest, unless we are otherwise instructed)

PM with any questions, and for more information and a PDF of the entry form.
Eggs must be received by Thursday, October 10 (you may also submit them in person at the show no later than 10 a.m. Saturday).

Hello- I am a new lurker here. I have a BCM/EE mix pullet & another BCM pullet. I love the breed and their feathered feet. Very talkative yet wary of me. They know if I come in the yard I probably have treats so they will get near me but not let me touch them. I am ok with that. Veryquirky personality but I do enjoy them.

Sophie my 5 month old pullet. She is not laying yet. I honestly dont know what age they start to lay but I assume it wont be till at least October. Her comb & wattles are just barely pink

Lucy my BCM/EE cross. She is very vocal and lays the darkest brown egg of all my hens (not marans dark tho)

Lucys is the middle one.

I dont plan on showing my birds just want to learn more about the breed. I have read up on them some. I know Sopjie has the right foot feathers, beautigul green sheen and dark eyes. She however does not have much copper in her. I think Lucy got it all
smile.png

Regardless they are a nice breed. Very laid back, playful with their siblings and we enjoy them. They add diversity to our backyard flock. And maybe Sophie will lay a beautiful chocolate egg once she starts laying
fl.gif

Hello and WELCOME, armorfire! Your ladies are lovely; I'm glad you enjoy them, and I will
fl.gif
that your Sophie lays you a beautiful egg!

Mathace, I have heard that vetrx is a good product to use for oiling legs/combs foe shows. I am considering entering a few of this years pullets/cockerals in our local PNPA show. Entries due the end of Sept., show is Oct.20th. Trying to learn all I can beforehand. Been to a few show to observe but never entered before.

Back
Top Bottom