Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I think the lighting made his feet look darker than they normally do. It was taken inside the coop and it was pretty closed up. Here is a picture my daughter took of him not long ago. He's about 20 weeks old.

I'm open to hearing the good and the bad on this male if anyone would be willing & can tell anything from this not-so-good photo.

Thanks for posting his photo, hard to get a real good overall from one pic ,, seems to have some nice things about him, looks fairly long in the back, tail angle is good so far, copper ear tuft vs black no signs of white at tail base,,.

He does look to have some halo effect in his hackles, something I get here also.

If you want more feedback, try to post the poses that show him from different angles...... front, side, top, and rear. Hopefully someone else has something to say about him,,,,,,, thanks again

Last edited:
ditto, i tried it and here in Florida it was hopeless because of the humidity, the mold took over almost immediately... Maybe i will have better luck if i try in the winter..
If you are having trouble with barley, maybe try wheat instead? I use a mix of wheat, boss, and lentils. I never have mold. With the barley it was a battle. My Marans are greedy feeders. The fodder helps keep them busy without making them too fat.

Thanks for posting his photo, hard to get a real good overall from one pic ,, seems to have some nice things about him, looks fairly long in the back, tail angle is good so far, copper ear tuft vs black no signs of white at tail base,,.

He does look to have some halo effect in his hackles, something I get here also.

If you want more feedback, try to post the poses that show him from different angles...... front, side, top, and rear. Hopefully someone else has something to say about him,,,,,,, thanks again

Thank you!

Let us know how you like feeding the Mangels. I was thinking about growinng them. Thanks
I use them chopped up and then either serve raw or also cooked to mix with grains/feed for warmth in the winter, usually late afternoon about an hour or two before dark. I've also just hung them up whole in the pens to let them have something to keep them busy.

Let us know how you like feeding the Mangels. I was thinking about growinng them. Thanks
I give them regular beets, just chop them in 1/2 and they eat the red ones up in a day. The striped red/white ones I grow they never seem to completely eat no matter how long I leave them. Bet if I cooked them they would eat it all, I do that with the pumpkins and they devour the mush. With a whole uncooked pumpkin (cut in 1/2) seeds get eaten immediately but the rest sits around forever and they occasionally peck at it never eating the peel. We raise pigs every other year and was thinking of growing mangels for them and the chickens. Chopping or grating sounds like a good idea, easier than cooking.

Back
Top Bottom