Black Copper Marans discussion thread

at what age do your FBCM usually start laying? my girl just turned 22 weeks...she is nice and red and plump looking and i DID see her squat when a hen who is higher in the pecking order try to bite her. but when i come near she doesn't squat. just seeing what the usual is :) thanks

at what age do your FBCM usually start laying? my girl just turned 22 weeks...she is nice and red and plump looking and i DID see her squat when a hen who is higher in the pecking order try to bite her. but when i come near she doesn't squat. just seeing what the usual is :) thanks
Mine took the longest of any breed I've ever had. 26-27 weeks

I have had BC pullets start laying at 16 weeks, I believe the bloodline might have something to do with starting to lay. I never really tried to get early layers as I never sold hatching eggs.

Good friend of mine for over 50 year showed the Black Sumatra to be a Hall of Fame breeder in the APA.
ep.gif
That is impressive. They need to update their website. The last hall of fame entry is from 2010.

For those of us not as familiar with showing is that 1,000 accumulated points for showing in competition?
th.gif

SO are marans eggs "usually" speckled or will those spots go away and the color will smooth out? also this being her first egg...will her eggs darken a bit or should i expect this color later on as well?

Back
Top Bottom