Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Pics
No worries! 2 were roosters and 5 were hens! I'm guessing 1&6 were the boys. I know I had it figured out when they were pretty young. Now the girls are laying gorgeous dark eggs
1f60d.png

Quote:
Congrats on all the ladies. From your pictures I would guess it was #1 and #6 as well. In my experience with BCMs the roos give themselves away by how tall the comb is up between the eyes from a very early age. Post pictures of yours, Oregonkat!

Quote: OK, here goes

No. 1

No. 2

No. 3

No. 4

No. 5

No. 6

No. 7

No. 8
Let me know what you think. They are 4.5 weeks old today. No. 8 at bottom, I am betting is a roo as he seems to be bigger and more feisty than the others. Thanks for the interest. I uploaded these as small pics, so if you cant see them well, I will upload them bigger.

Quote:
Oh goodness. Yes #8 is almost certainly a roo, with those pink wattles already showing. I'm pretty suspicious or 1, 3, 5 and 6 as well with those "Roman Nose" combs, already pinkening up. 2, 4 and 7 I think are definitely little ladies. You'll know for sure in a day or two! They are super cute!

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh goodness. Yes #8 is almost certainly a roo, with those pink wattles already showing. I'm pretty suspicious or 1, 3, 5 and 6 as well with those "Roman Nose" combs, already pinkening up. 2, 4 and 7 I think are definitely little ladies. You'll know for sure in a day or two! They are super cute!
Agreed.

Sorry If I am asking a redundant or super obvious question as I havent read this whole thread and that I am still new to chicken and just learning things... but what type of hen do you have in the cage with them in post 12 on the 2nd page of this thread?

Last edited:
Wondering about one of my hatchlings... Though so far I've had a pretty bad rate - hatching only boys!!!

Chick number one I know is a cockerel:

He is heavier, thick legs, deeper voice, pink tall comb.

Chick number 2: ???

Both together:

Chick 1 on left (Jon Snow) Chick 2 on Right in front (Ygritte)

Did anyone have a pullet that looked like Ygritte at 4 weeks?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom