Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Hello BCM fans!

I have a 13 week old bird that we can’t quite figure out sex of. Arwen has had a hen-like head since I got her at 2 weeks old and still looks nearly identical to her sister Annika when seen from the front. However she’s got these saddle feathers that look just a touch curled and 2-3 tail feathers that stick straight up. Her breeder is 50/50 on whether she’s actually a he so I thought I’d ask here.

Both birds are late August hatch, from the same lines. They are so similar in size and appearance that they’re impossible to tell apart unless you’re close enough to see Arwen’s saddle and wonky feet. Arwen is not good for breeding because of those feet and is attached at the hip to her sister, so I hope they’re both hens so I can keep both! (Tho I do have a backup plan where they could both go if needed) Any thoughts from the crowd?

Thanks!
37264991-11CF-4A14-BC1E-EB65711FD983.jpeg

BD7D4206-D457-41A4-9417-D4B27970F793.jpeg

Hello BCM fans!

I have a 13 week old bird that we can’t quite figure out sex of. Arwen has had a hen-like head since I got her at 2 weeks old and still looks nearly identical to her sister Annika when seen from the front. However she’s got these saddle feathers that look just a touch curled and 2-3 tail feathers that stick straight up. Her breeder is 50/50 on whether she’s actually a he so I thought I’d ask here.

Both birds are late August hatch, from the same lines. They are so similar in size and appearance that they’re impossible to tell apart unless you’re close enough to see Arwen’s saddle and wonky feet. Arwen is not good for breeding because of those feet and is attached at the hip to her sister, so I hope they’re both hens so I can keep both! (Tho I do have a backup plan where they could both go if needed) Any thoughts from the crowd?

Thanks!
View attachment 2448905
View attachment 2448906
Pullet.

Hello BCM fans!

Thanks!
View attachment 2448905
View attachment 2448906
Pullet... I don’t see any real saddle feathers just frayed feathers. I have had several hens with some suspicion looking feathers and longer tails like this and all turned out to be hens.
here is a pic of saddle feathers for comparison.
561CF19C-A8AD-45C9-80E9-88B6B83BF17E.jpeg

Pullet... I don’t see any real saddle feathers just frayed feathers. I have had several hens with some suspicion looking feathers and longer tails like this and all turned out to be hens.
here is a pic of saddle feathers for comparison.

Thank you, this feedback and image is helpful. Arwen has always had funny feathers (another genetic quirk like the feet, I guess!) and a bigger tail so it’s always been a guessing game what exactly is going on with her! Quick feedback x2 saying pullet is reassuring. These birds are lovely, snuggly things and I hope they’ll be in my flock for years to come!

Definitely pullet! I find Marans cockerels show themselves quite early. I’ve definitely had Cochin pullets that showed some masculine traits (more colour in waddles, waddle development more than expected) at a young age, but then went on the be lovely hens. The best thing to do if it doubt is just what you did here - ask those who might have experience with specific breeds 😊

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone has any insight on my 2 week old chicks I’d appreciate it. I’m nearly positive chick 2 is a cockerel, but is there a chance chick 1 could be a pullet? Both are feathering out around the same. Both seem to have similar legs as well. But chick 1 is less assertive and the comb and wattle are smaller with no coloring just yet. Thanks!

Attachments

• 04B5712B-1ECE-4D4B-81B2-5113C0BF3EBE.png
    04B5712B-1ECE-4D4B-81B2-5113C0BF3EBE.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
Love this thread, super informative. I got 4/4 roos in the first batch of BCMs and looks like 2/2 in the second batch so I'm just starting to believe BCMs don't come in the pullet variety. The second batch had 1 Blue copper marans and 1 easter egger mix, both look to be females. No dark eggs for me!

A22E9551-DE7C-42DF-864E-2B1722B3F47F.jpeg
Help! Any ideas on whether this is a pullet or cockerel? BCM “hybrid” 4 wks old. Like many others, hoping for a pullet. 🙏🏼

Back
Top Bottom