Black Copper Marans

ELVISMUSTANG

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 17, 2012
have a few three week old chicks. Is it true I will be able to tell male or female based on color in a few weeks? From looking at pictures online it seems that the males have orange feathers around the necks and the hens are all black. Is this right????
does anyone know when I will be able to tell male or female for Black Coppers??

not yet-- only 3 weeks old. feathers not all in but i'm basing it on pics ive seen on web

My three girls feathered in black. One started getting copper coloration, but it took quite a while. The other two are over melanised I suppose, and don't have any copper coloration...but marans have big combs, and the males become readily apparent pretty early.

Yeah, I'd be looking more at the combs than at the coloring. Boys definitely have more color, but many black copper marans hens also have copper on them.

I have 2 Copper Maran Hens and one has Copper around her neck the other does not. Like the others said their comb develops early in the boys..Turns red and large pretty young. The coloring won't help you..

have a few three week old chicks. Is it true I will be able to tell male or female based on color in a few weeks? From looking at pictures online it seems that the males have orange feathers around the necks and the hens are all black. Is this right????
does anyone know when I will be able to tell male or female for Black Coppers??

Back
Top Bottom