Black crust around eyes on new chicken

eapriesing

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
We acquired 7 new chickens in the spring. all went into a separate hoop house away from the rest of farm.

I moved Princess from the new group and put her into a separate single coop after noticing black crusty goop around her eyes and nose. I comes and goes, she lays regular eggs. I have noticed her sneezing very occasionally. And applied vet RX poultry aid and she does well, looks great then it comes back.

She has only been with the first group in my yard. None of them show any signs of what she has. Any ideas? I have tried looking it up but not finding anything that looks like hers.

Thanks
Betsy

Welcome to BYC. Will the black crusty goop come off if you use warm wet compresses on her eyes for a few minutes? I would put Neosporin (plain) or Terramycin ointment into her eyes after washing them daily. Saline eye wash or Vetericyn Eye Gel would also be good. She probably has a chronic respiratory disease that comes and goes. Here are some diseases to read about including MG and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Yes, the crusty stuff washes off in warm water. She is always energetic, and happy to jump into my arms. How can I narrow it down to what she may have.....will she have to be separate from all my others? I have had birds now since 1998 and this is my first sick bird.

You could get her tested for MG or chronic respiratory disease by your NPIP or dept. of agriculture agent. Your vet may also be able to do a nasal or blood test for this if you ask. Respiratory disease can cause the eye and nasal drainage. Or you can treat her with the eye ointment and give her Tylan 50 injectable either in a shot or give by mouth when she gets this. Dosage is 1 ml daily for 5 days. Tylan is available in farm stores in the cattle dept. You will need a few syringes and 22 gauge needles just to withdraw it from the vial. Tylan is also available in powder for water dosing, but kind of expensive. Oxytetracycline might be a cheaper solutuin for the water. I would test before treating it. Below is a link to find your nearest testing facility, or you can contact the Dept. of Agriculture in your state.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom