Black East Indie / Call Duck Color Genetics Question!!

Doodlemom121

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2024
Hey all! I have a black east indie drake and a penciled call duck hen.

My hen has now laid 10 eggs- if we incubate, what colors can we expect?

ducks.jpg

Hi! Has your BEI always had that white bib, or has it come in with age? A BEI is usually solid black, so I assume it came in with age.

What you would get from the first gen cross, barring unexpected recessive genes, is all black bibbed pied ducklings. They would only have one copy of extended black, so you may get some 'bleed through' of brown from the mallard colors.

Hi! Has your BEI always had that white bib, or has it come in with age? A BEI is usually solid black, so I assume it came in with age.

What you would get from the first gen cross, barring unexpected recessive genes, is all black bibbed pied ducklings. They would only have one copy of extended black, so you may get some 'bleed through' of brown from the mallard colors.
He has always had the white since a duckling (he’s only a year old now)- so I think maybe he’s not pure east indie or just has a flaw- clearly pet quality, we didn’t want anything fancy. I know the breeder pointed out that the yellow chest as a duckling wasn’t breed standard.

We did hatch one of their eggs 2 months ago and it’s a black bibbed- pic below- so I was curious if all their offspring would be the same or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom