Black eye

ndnwarrior

Hatching
Oct 3, 2015
Last week I noticed one of my easter eggers, Lucy, had an eye that was swollen shut. I took her to our vet and he gave her some antibotic and some eye gel. But now I noticed that that eye is solid black and her eyes are usually orange. I was wondering if she is blind and will she be able to survive because she is last in the pecking order? I don't know if she will be able to defend herself with out being able to see in that eye. Plus will the other hens kill her if they see she is blind?

If there is any pus in there, be ready to pick and squeeze it out, chicken pus is hard and cheesy. She may go down on the pecking order due to her blindness, if this is what is occurring, but the other chickens shouldn't kill her unless they are extremely aggressive towards her. Could you post a pic of her eye?

Can you post a picture of both eyes? It sounds like her pupil is dilated (large,) which could be a result of the eye gel if it is meant to do that. Some diseases such as Mareks can cause a change in the size or shape of the pupil, or a change in the color of the iris. A cataract could cause a dilated pupil. Hopefully the eye is still intact, but with some eye or respiratory infections, the eye can be destroyed. Here is a good article about eye disorders: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

Back
Top Bottom