Black Giant roo over RIR just wondering

I can't tell what kind of comb he has, but looks like a horn beak? If he truly has white earlobes his father is likely a Mediterranean breed.
From what I looked up, he has a pea comb. I hadn’t noticed his earlobes. I have so much to learn! I got my first chickens in 1983, but I always had Black Star. I haven’t had chickens this entire time and when I decided to get some recently my BS aren’t BS. I love BYC, the willingness of people to help others is amazing!

I am more and more impressed with this bloodline, if it is bloodline. HeiJ is currently 15 weeks old. He has 3 RIR hens, his sister who is two weeks younger than him, and 2 9 week old pullet chicks.

At this point in my experience other cockerels have been jumping everything in sight, refusing to take no for an answer and basically being teenage nuisances.

He's already tit-bitting and wing dancing. If one of them says no he can get quite insistent, but if they don't squat, he doesn't mount. He seems to be ignoring his sister and the chicks, which is exactly what I want.

His JG father had a brief teenage nuisance period, but he had an older rooster to teach him manners.

If this passes on to the third generation, I'm going to be celebrating.

I am more and more impressed with this bloodline, if it is bloodline. HeiJ is currently 15 weeks old. He has 3 RIR hens, his sister who is two weeks younger than him, and 2 9 week old pullet chicks.

At this point in my experience other cockerels have been jumping everything in sight, refusing to take no for an answer and basically being teenage nuisances.

He's already tit-bitting and wing dancing. If one of them says no he can get quite insistent, but if they don't squat, he doesn't mount. He seems to be ignoring his sister and the chicks, which is exactly what I want.

His JG father had a brief teenage nuisance period, but he had an older rooster to teach him manners.

If this passes on to the third generation, I'm going to be celebrating.
Wow, that would be worth celebrating! A bloodline with good roosters should be a welcome addition to the chicken world! I am hoping that Gene remains gentle. I have other RIR cockerels the same age. My goal is two or three roosters in my flock.
I will end up with 26 hens, more than I planned on. I think three roosters should work out. I can separate and make multiple flocks, but I’m hoping that they can be one.
Right now all the cockerels are teenager heathens 😆 They are separated from the all the girls, so no issues there.
The cockerels are one month younger than my older hens. They are two months old. When should I try introducing the ones I want to keep to the hens? The three months old pullets (?) have started laying. Actually 3.5 months old.

The cockerels are one month younger than my older hens. They are two months old. When should I try introducing the ones I want to keep to the hens? The three months old pullets (?) have started laying. Actually 3.5 months old.
Wow, that's young to start laying. If you have older hens to keep them in line I'd say you could introduce one and see how it goes. If he's a jerk you could put him back with the boys.

I have introduced most of mine the first time around 6 months, unless they are raised with the flock as HeiJ was.

Wow, that's young to start laying. If you have older hens to keep them in line I'd say you could introduce one and see how it goes. If he's a jerk you could put him back with the boys.

I have introduced most of mine the first time around 6 months, unless they are raised with the flock as HeiJ was.
I know, I was shocked when I saw the first egg! It’s hit & miss right now, but definitely getting eggs.
Six months old sounds like a good age. They should know they are roosters, I hope you know what I’m trying to say 😀 I don’t have any older hens or hen, so I will be patient and let the boys grow up some.
I don’t need any more youngsters running around, poor girls are in puberty and don’t know what they are supposed to be doing.

JG x RIR back-cross is already showing possibilities.

These two chicks had problems hatching so I separated them. I took the black chick out at one point and she was understandably upset. When I put her back, the other chick herded her into a corner and stood guard, just like their Dad did.
20240124_085622.jpg

Back
Top Bottom