Black Giant roo over RIR just wondering

Rose_adamaj

Songster
Apr 6, 2023
Texas
I think my mystery chick might be a Black Jersey Giant. I’m assuming it’s a roo, received it with my order of RIR.
Made me start wondering what the offspring would be if I bred him to a RIR hen.
Has anyone done this? I am not familiar with this breed, what I have read makes me think I might want to keep it.
Thank you in advance :)

I think my mystery chick might be a Black Jersey Giant. I’m assuming it’s a roo, received it with my order of RIR.
Made me start wondering what the offspring would be if I bred him to a RIR hen.
You should get black chicks. They may show some bits of red in their feathers when they grow up, or they may not.

Since both breeds lay brown eggs, their chicks will too.

Mmm. I think you RIR hens don’t like it when a giant wants to mate them. They even can get injured if he does.
Oh my - hadn’t thought about that!
I doubt that the chick is a girl, I figure the free mystery chicks are roos. Thank you for giving me something to think about.

My JG x RIR chicks are 7 weeks and 5.5 weeks. My sister lost her JG roo and wanted some of his babies.

The older two have their mother's eyes and were extremely precocious. Flying by one week, born with vestigial tail feathers. Comb visible and red on the cockerell by 4 weeks.

The youngest is following the JG pattern of slower growth and has her father's eyes. Their father's comb was just starting to show at 8 weeks, so if the youngest takes after her father that way as well she could be another cockerell.

The RIR hens had no problem with the JG mating them, but he was only 9 months old when a predator got him.

Youngest at 4 weeks
20231009_121639.jpg

Roo and pullet at 6 weeks
20231020_070220.jpg

As hatchling
20230910_175506.jpg

Last edited:
My JG x RIR chicks are 7 weeks and 5.5 weeks. My sister lost her JG roo and wanted some of his babies.

The older two have their mother's eyes and were extremely precocious. Flying by one week, born with vestigial tail feathers. Comb visible and red on the cockerell by 4 weeks.

The youngest is following the JG pattern of slower growth and has her father's eyes. Their father's comb was just starting to show at 8 weeks, so if the youngest takes after her father that way as well she could be another cockerell.

The RIR hens had no problem with the JG mating them, but he was only 9 months old when a predator got him.

Youngest at 4 weeks
View attachment 3668141

Roo and pullet at 6 weeks
View attachment 3668144

As hatchling
View attachment 3668150
Thank you so much for the information and especially the pictures. Such beautiful babies!
I am happy that I got a JG for my free chick. The more I read & learn about them the more excited I become.
Talking about whether a JG would be too large for a RIR, I started thinking about AI. I have not looked into it yet, but I’m sure it can be done.
Oh my, my poor husband. I can see him trying to explain to the neighbors what I’m doing…

Back
Top Bottom