Black Giant roo over RIR just wondering

White earlobes? That would rather narrow it down. If it's an easter egger it could be any number of different hybrids.

Gene is in the intermediate small coop. I can’t see all the interactions because of tarp to protect them from the north wind. What I do see, it appears that Gene is top of the pecking order.
I am wondering if he is a she. I cannot figure out the breed, but one more molt in one month for adult feathers. Thank you for explaining the ages of youngsters molts!
@NatJ @LaurenRitz Do you guys have any idea what breed Gene is? Should I be changing the name to Jean?
Yep. I waited until they were all on their roosts, brought Gene in the house to get a couple pictures. Poor confused little guy or girl.
I think I see skinny saddle feathers, growing on the back in front of the tail and hanging down to the sides. (The pattern of colors in the feathers makes it a bit harder for me to be sure.) If he does have male saddle feathers, then he must be a male.

I would guess he is a Whiting True Blue.
That would be my guess as well.

I don't think he is right for any of the pure breeds I can remember McMurray having, and among the colored-egg types I think he looks more like the Whiting True Blues than like any of the others.

I would guess he is a Whiting True Blue. I would say maybe “Americana”, but he doesn’t have the poofy cheeks. I think the Whitings can have any number of shaped combs and patterns. If he breeds with any brown layers, might get green eggs!
Thank you so much! I looked up the Ameraucana also, saw the same thing about poofy cheeks. Wouldn’t that be something if he is a Whiting True Blue. I do have brown egg layers, that would be fun to see if offspring lay green eggs. Thank you again.

I can't tell what kind of comb he has, but looks like a horn beak? If he truly has white earlobes his father is likely a Mediterranean breed.

I can't tell what kind of comb he has, but looks like a horn beak? If he truly has white earlobes his father is likely a Mediterranean breed.
For the mystery cockerel, I've seen some "pea" combs that looked like that (especially from some mixes of pea comb breeds with single-comb breeds.) It does not have the usual skinny points on top that I would expect on a single comb.

So I'm considering it as a probably-pea comb, at least for now.

And McMurray's Whiting True Blues have a lot of Leghorn in their ancestry, which could account for white earlobes (or mixed-color earlobes, since McMurray is probably not selecting for any specific earlobe color in them.)

For the mystery cockerel, I've seen some "pea" combs that looked like that (especially from some mixes of pea comb breeds with single-comb breeds.) It does not have the usual skinny points on top that I would expect on a single comb.

So I'm considering it as a probably-pea comb, at least for now.

And McMurray's Whiting True Blues have a lot of Leghorn in their ancestry, which could account for white earlobes (or mixed-color earlobes, since McMurray is probably not selecting for any specific earlobe color in them.)
I think it is a pea comb. I’m not familiar with all the types of combs, but what I looked up shows his as a pea comb.
I hadn’t noticed his earlobes. I obviously have never tried to identify a specific breed before 😀

Back
Top Bottom