Black Giant roo over RIR just wondering

2nd juvenile molt, at 8-12 weeks. This is when they get their adult feathers.
Thank you! That also helps explain the color change. They are supposed to be Black Star, I was sure I got the wrong breed until now. They are getting black and white feathers and must be from a cross I’m not familiar with. Of course the last time I bought BS chicks was nine years ago.

Thank you! That also helps explain the color change. They are supposed to be Black Star, I was sure I got the wrong breed until now. They are getting black and white feathers and must be from a cross I’m not familiar with. Of course the last time I bought BS chicks was nine years ago.
I must have missed something-- what "Black Stars" are we talking about here? I don't remember seeing any of them in this thread.

Black Star usually refers to Black Sexlinks (a certain set of crosses that produces color-sexable chicks with the females being mostly black, while the males are black with white barring.)

Black Star pullets aka Black Sexlink pullets should not be getting white in their feathers. (An occasional white wing feather when young, yes. White barring or any kind of white pattern, especially if it shows up when they are older, no.)

I must have missed something-- what "Black Stars" are we talking about here? I don't remember seeing any of them in this thread.

Black Star usually refers to Black Sexlinks (a certain set of crosses that produces color-sexable chicks with the females being mostly black, while the males are black with white barring.)

Black Star pullets aka Black Sexlink pullets should not be getting white in their feathers. (An occasional white wing feather when young, yes. White barring or any kind of white pattern, especially if it shows up when they are older, no.)
She menioned in another post that she got Black Stars along with her RIRs. It wasn't mentioned in this post.

I’m sorry, I jumped back & forth. Kinda like when I thought 11/6 meant Dec 6 😆
I’ve reached the age of needing a keeper!

Hackle feathers are coming in red.

20231216_144819.jpg

Screenshot_20231217_124533_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Is he a teenage idiot yet? HeiJ is at the "pre-teen nuisance" stage. The girls just get irritated and walk away. 🤣

Is he a teenage idiot yet? HeiJ is at the "pre-teen nuisance" stage. The girls just get irritated and walk away. 🤣
Gene is in the intermediate small coop. I can’t see all the interactions because of tarp to protect them from the north wind. What I do see, it appears that Gene is top of the pecking order.
I am wondering if he is a she. I cannot figure out the breed, but one more molt in one month for adult feathers. Thank you for explaining the ages of youngsters molts!
@NatJ @LaurenRitz Do you guys have any idea what breed Gene is? Should I be changing the name to Jean?
Yep. I waited until they were all on their roosts, brought Gene in the house to get a couple pictures. Poor confused little guy or girl.

Attachments

• IMG_5489.jpeg
    IMG_5489.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5492.jpeg
    IMG_5492.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 19
Looks like a cockerel to me. Droopy saddle feathers and a red comb by 12 weeks. Looks like pointy hackle feathers as well, but not really clear. Pullets may have a big comb, but it usually won't turn red until they're ready to lay.

Back
Top Bottom