Black girls and white boy???

JerseyGiantSoldier

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Port Arthur, Texas
We own 12 jersey giants
6 black females...5 white females and for things of life we ended with a white handsome boy...
The question really is : Is it OK to have them all in the same space or should we keep the black girls in a separate location?
We are not looking into breeding anytime soon, but we are afraid that by mixing the black girls and the white boy will damage our breeding plans for the future with the black jersey giants.
They are almost 6 months now and the boy is already getting on top of the black girls!!! we would like to breed one day pure black stock and that is why we are not sure of this mix???
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info there " silkiechicken " we can see now how it works
wink.png
you know...for rookies like us everything has a (?) mark in the poultry world
roll.png
we thank you for the help.
God Bless
smile.png

Silkie is right. 3 weeks out, separate all brids you dont want interbreeding.

But for now, why not? Let the boy have his go, since he will be replaced later with a chosen black male anyway. It won't hurt the hens, either, to be mated. If nothing else, you will see which ones are better at brooding, this in a breed that tradtionally is not strong at it.

But, you might also find the results are something you like. Depending on the type of breeding program you plan to adopt in the future, your current group might just yield a new strain with good, marketable qualities and so on. And you will be learning all along.

For a discussion of backyard breeding, visit here:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-2/Craig_Russell.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks " ELDEROO " your input makes a lot of sense and it's grately appreciated!!!
smile.png
our breeding program will one day be directed by choosing the best girls and the best boys (in the same color) then we'll start the journey
old.gif
... without creating some type of Dalmation pattern by mixing white and black chickens
big_smile.png
we just want to keep the pure color pattern
wink.png

our breeding program will one day be directed by choosing the best girls and the best boys (in the same color) then we'll start the journey

Seriously, go and read the information I included. Merely "electing" isnt enough, if you want the sort of quality I sense you are after.​

Today DH and I got two BIG black girls. I didnt realize that they were so big, but man are they gorgeous. I read that they will lay large brown eggs. Any info on Black Jersey Giants will be appreciated

Here you go. A little quick work with the Super GoogleTron has given these factoids. I hope they are both interesting and useful:

It is more properly called the Jersey Giant.

The Jersey Giant takes the prize for largest breed developed in this country.

Standard Weights:
Cock-13 pounds; hen-10 pounds
cockerel-11 pounds; pullet-8 pounds.

The Jersey Giant was developed in the 1870's in - you guessed it - New Jersey to meet the demand for heavy fowl.

It was originally called the Jersey Black Giant, and was named after the Black brothers, who first developed it.

Giants were bred from crosses of Orpingtons, Javas, and Langshans,

Jersey Giants come in black and a grey variant, referred to as white.

There have also been buff, all white and blue, but none of these have really taken hold.

They are in the American Class, according to the Standard and as mentioned, are the largest chicken developed in America.

They are rugged birds, because they grow their large frame first.

They put on the flesh later than most birds - starting at about 6 mos.

Once in some demand as a meat bird because of their size, they are a poor fit for today's modern poultry-industry.

The modern meat bird is ready for slaughter in 8-12 weeks. The Jersey Giants dont fully flesh out until 8 months or more!

They used to be more widespread, but their popularity has waned.

No fowl with black plumage or dark shanks has ever remained popular/marketable in this country for long.

Jersey Giants have an angular shape, single comb and black (with willowish tinge) shanks in the Black variety.

The Jersey Giant hen is an average broody, but is not the best choice for incubating and brooding because of her size.

Jersey Giants have been known to chase off coyotes.

They lay large brown eggs.

Other large breeds to consider are the Langshan, Cochin and Brahma, all in the Asiatic class. The Brahma was a preferred market meat bird, into the 20th century.

I can only wonder how big a Jersey Giant capon would grow. C'mon Thanksgiving. Turkeys... move over!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom